Flan is a very popular dessert in South America. This is a custard cream baked on top of a layer of caramel. When the cooked flan is turned out of the pan, caramel becomes a beautiful sauce, as well as a dessert sauce.
This flan recipe has even more caramel flavor, as dulce de lesche, thick caramel milk and sugar confectionery are added to the custard.
The flan is easily prepared and yet always seems very impressive and dramatic in presentation. Most people serve cold flu, but I think it's creamy and tastiest when it's still warm from the oven.
Why are nightshade dangerous?
Toxicologist and allergist answer
Egg-based desserts are a pretty fragile thing. The meringue may fall, the creme brulee may disperse in different directions, and rumors are circulating about the flan that nobody ever succeeds in it.
We decided to rehabilitate the flan and prove that cooking it at home is simple, it is only important to know a few secrets and strictly follow the recipe.
Katya Trofimova, a pastry chef, cook and tutor of the “Food” school, told us about them, whose students also periodically prepare a flan. Therefore, in the possible mistakes of those who prepare the flan for the first, second or third time in their lives, Katya understands like no other. A detailed video master class is attached.
Katya Trofimova, cook, pastry chef, tutor of the school "Food":
“Flan is a traditional Spanish dessert consisting of three ingredients: sugar, eggs and milk. This is the basic option, if desired, you can add cinnamon or vanilla, aromatic syrups or spices to it.
Unlike French creme brulee, which uses only the yolk, you need to use the whole egg to prepare the flan. This makes the dessert more stable, and if creme brulee is served in a bowl, in which it was baked, then the flan easily lies on a plate by itself.
The recipe is very simple, but in order to succeed, you need to know a few secrets. First, milk and eggs should be at room temperature. Eggs are the main thickener of this dessert, and they should never be overheated.
Secondly, when you make caramel, try to touch it less, and it’s better not to touch it at all. In this case, you need to clean the walls of the pan from burnt sugar, otherwise the smell of burnt sugar will pass into the flan. A brush dipped in water will help you with this.
And thirdly, the flan is very moody. You can’t rush with him, otherwise you will beat eggs very much or you will not have time to cool the milk. Do not be lazy and bake it without a water bath. In general, everything needs to be done slowly and carefully. ”
Place a stewpan on the stove with 300 ml of milk with a fat content of 3.2%, a cinnamon stick and 60 grams of sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil and set aside to cool to room temperature. This boiling maneuver is needed only so that the sugar is well dissolved in milk.
If you forgot to add cinnamon while heating milk, it's okay. It can just as well be put in cooling milk.
Make the caramel. To do this, put a small frying pan on a hot stove, pour 150 grams of granulated sugar into it. When the caramel begins to melt, try not to touch it. Rotate the pan constantly so that the sugar melts evenly.
When the sugar begins to melt, a sugar crust forms on the edges of the pan. To prevent it from burning and giving caramel the taste of burnt sugar, remove it with a brush dipped in water. When the caramel has a bright amber color, remove it from the stove.
Pour the caramel over the prepared tins so that the bottom of the mold is completely closed.
Beat three eggs at room temperature and beat them gently. Do not whisk completely, rather stir them intensively.
Pour 300 ml of room temperature milk into the beaten eggs, mix gently. The proportions are as follows: 100 ml of milk per egg. The temperature of the eggs and milk should be the same, otherwise nothing will work.
Strain the mixture to get rid of cinnamon and pieces of unmixed eggs.
Place the caramel tins in a deep bowl. Pour hot water into it, just enough so that the water reaches the middle of the tins. Then the flan will be prepared in a water bath. There are options when the flan is prepared without a water bath, but I do not advise doing this.
Pour the egg mixture over the tins. Remove the molds for an hour in the oven, preheated to 150 degrees. Hour is an ideal time for small forms. If you are preparing a large flan, I suggest starting with 80 minutes, and then evaluate its readiness, look at the consistency.
After an hour, remove the flan from the oven. Ideally, if you immediately put it in the refrigerator for at least 12, or better for 18 hours. The flan needs cold to stabilize its structure.
Remove the flan from the refrigerator. Put it on a plate, turn it upside down and tap on the lid of the mold with a knife, so the mold can be removed more easily. Done.
The content of the article
Grapefruit contains a huge amount of vitamins and minerals. It is rich in vitamin C, antioxidants, vitamins A, E, PP, glycosides, essential oils. Eating such fruits contributes to an increase in appetite, but at the same time regulates the concentration of sugar in the blood and accelerates the process of burning fat. Naringin glycoside will give the fruit its original bitter taste. Most of it is in the films with which the slices are covered. Before eating the fruits, it is better to remove the films, and you should also peel them from a peel rich in essential oils.
Salads with the addition of grapefruit are original and very tasty. You can combine grapefruit with other fruits, as well as with nuts, vegetables and even meat.
Salad with grapefruit, nuts and spinach
The calorie content of citrus fruits is quite low. To make a diet salad, you need to supplement grapefruit with foods that contain a minimum amount of calories. You can surprise guests with an interesting and light salad, which includes the following ingredients:
- 1 large grapefruit
- a bunch of spinach big
- a few feathers of green onions,
- 200 g walnuts (in shell),
- 2 tsp honey (necessarily liquid),
- 1 tsp of mustard
- a little salt
- 2-3 tbsp. l grapefruit juice
- 2 tsp wine vinegar,
- some olive oil.
- Ripe grapefruit for salad. Gently cut the peel of the fruit, peel the fruit and divide it into slices. To clear segments from films, connecting partitions. Films contain a substance that gives the product a strong bitterness. If you do not remove them, the salad will turn out not tasty. Cut each slice into 2-4 parts. Squeeze juice out of 1 wedge. It is useful for making sauce.
- Sort the spinach, remove the solid base of the leaves, rinse, dry and cut with a knife coarsely. You can tear spinach with your hands. It contains a lot of vitamin C, and when it comes into contact with a metal knife, this valuable substance is oxidized and destroyed. Rinse green onions and chop finely.
- Peel the walnuts from the shell, remove the partitions and chop the nuts with a knife. Put all the ingredients in a deep salad bowl, add a little salt.
- To prepare the sauce, you need to mix a little olive oil (2-3 tbsp. L) with mustard and honey. It is better to choose homemade and liquid honey, so that the sauce turns out to be more uniform and not very thick. Add wine vinegar and grapefruit juice and mix all the ingredients well. Serve the salad immediately after preparation. You can decorate it with halves of walnuts.
Shrimp Salad with Avocado and Grapefruit
Grapefruit goes well with avocados and shrimp. To prepare a delicious and delicious salad according to a simple recipe, you will need:
- 2 grapefruits large
- 250-300 g of shrimp,
- 1 avocado (large and ripe),
- a bunch of big salad is not bitter (ideal for arugula),
- 100 g pine nuts,
- half a lemon
- a little salt
- 2 cloves of garlic,
- 2-3 branches of dill,
- 6 tbsp. l olive oil.
- Peel grapefruits, cut and remove all connecting partitions, films. You can first divide the fruits into slices, then remove the film.
- Shrimps for this dish are better to choose boiled and frozen. The semi-finished product needs to be thawed in air or in water, if the cooking time is very short. Next, you need to clean each shrimp from the shell. You do not need to cut them. Only large king prawns can be cut in half.
- Peel the avocado, cut in half, remove the bone and cut the flesh into large slices.
- Hands to break greens. Arugula is ideal for a salad, but you can use a regular leaf salad if it is not bitter. You can also add spinach to the dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix olive oil, chopped greens of dill. Squeeze the juice from the half of the lemon into the mixture, add a little salt and mix well again.
- In a deep salad bowl, mix shrimp, arugula or other leafy greens, avocados and grapefruit. Sprinkle the dish with peeled pine nuts and pour generously with dressing. It is better to bring such a salad to the table immediately after cooking.
Grapefruit and Chicken Salad
To prepare a grapefruit salad with chicken fillet, according to a very successful recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 large chicken breasts,
- 1 grapefruit
- half fork of chinese cabbage,
- half onion,
- a little salt
- some olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- juice of half a lemon.
- Peel the grapefruit, remove the films, cut each slice into 2-3 parts and put in a salad bowl.
- Peel the onion from the husk, cut into thin rings into thin rings. Chop cabbage finely. Put vegetables in a salad bowl and mix well.
- Boil chicken breast in slightly salted water. It only takes about 10 minutes. Cut the breast into thin slices and then lightly fry them. Put the slices in a salad bowl, carefully laying out at the top.
- To prepare the dressing, mix the juice of half a lemon, mustard, liquid honey and olive oil. The proportions in this case can be adjusted as you wish. If you want to make the dish less spicy, you should reduce the amount of mustard. Pour salad dressing and serve it immediately.
In this recipe, Chinese cabbage can be replaced with ordinary lettuce, as well as add sprigs of watercress. This type of leafy greens has a very specific taste and is very healthy. It is important to comply with the measure so that the bright taste of watercress does not drown out the flavoring shades of other ingredients.
When serving, you can put the dish on the leaves of Beijing cabbage or other greens. If you want to reduce calories, you do not need to fry the chicken. It is better to add boiled meat sticks to the salad.
Salad with grapefruit and salmon
Grapefruit goes well in taste with slightly salted red fish. You can cook a very delicious and refined salad, which can become an ornament on any table. This will require:
- 1 large grapefruit
- 1 large cucumber,
- a bunch of lettuce,
- some arugula
- 100 g of olives
- 200-300 g of salmon (preferably slightly salted),
- a little salt
- 1-2 tbsp. l lemon juice
- olive oil.
- Peel the grapefruit, divide into slices and peel each of the films. Cut each slice into 2 pieces.
- Cut salted salmon, separate from the bones and cut the fillet into thin slices. To prepare the salad, you can take the already prepared chilled slightly salted fillet. Rinse the cucumber in half lengthwise and then cut thinly into thin circles. It is not necessary to remove the peel first if it is not very hard and does not bitter.
- Lettuce leaf tear by hand. For this recipe, you can use several types of leafy salads. It is better if they have different shades.
- Put salad, slices of grapefruit, slices of salmon, cucumber in a deep bowl. Add pitted olives. You can put them in a salad bowl as a whole, or cut in half. It all depends on taste preferences. Salt a little salt and mix well.
- To prepare dressing, mix olive oil with lemon juice and pour the mixture with this mixture. Garnish the salad with arugula sheets. You can replace them with sprigs of dill or parsley.
All salads with grapefruit are recommended to be seasoned only with extra virgin olive oil and a high degree of purification. It is better not to use sunflower and other types of oils, especially if they are flavored.