Today, different varieties of pepper are grown in many warm countries. Most varieties, united by the common name "chili", have a pronounced pungent taste. This name is applied not only to the vegetable itself, but also to sauces prepared on its basis. You can buy such a seasoning in almost any grocery store. But it’s not so difficult to make chili sauce at home. A huge variety of recipes allows everyone to choose a dish to taste. Consider several popular and uncomplicated cooking methods.
What is chili sauce?
As a rule, the basis of chili sauce is a mixture of vegetables. Often, tomato paste or fresh tomatoes are included, but there are many recipes based on other vegetables: rotunda, bell pepper and even plum puree. If you decide to make chili sauce at home, build on your family’s eating habits. Pick a variety of pepper, the severity of which will be to your taste. If you do not like excessive pungency or similar products are contraindicated for health reasons, you may like sweet chili sauce, which also has a pungency, but to a lesser extent.
Chili pepper and its varieties
Going to the market or to the store for the main ingredient, expect to meet it in one of the most common types. Along with fresh peppers, you may come across dried, powdered, or in pieces. Pickled or frozen chili peppers can be seen on supermarket shelves. In some countries, such as Spain, dried and smoked peppers are popular.
All of these varieties are perfect for our purposes. Of course, if it happens in summer or autumn, the choice is wide enough. But if you decide to make chili sauce at home in the cold season, you are unlikely to get fresh fruits. Do not despair - buy dry powder. It is also suitable for giving the necessary sharpness, and for saturating the finished dish with a characteristic aroma.
If you have never prepared such a sauce, start exploring it with a classic recipe. For him we need:
- hot pepper - 2 pcs.,
- Bulgarian pepper (red) - 2 pcs.,
- tomato paste - 4 tbsp. spoons
- garlic - 3 cloves,
You can use rotunda for this recipe. Culinary experts say that heat treatment is not necessary for pepper, and it muffles the taste. Therefore, the sauce can not be boiled. Just chop the vegetables in any convenient way: using a blender or a meat grinder. Touching the chili pepper or knife with which it was cut is not worth it. Cut it in gloves.
Add tomato paste, seasonings and salt to the vegetable mixture. If the sauce seems too thick, dilute it with vegetable broth or water. In case the mass turned out to be liquid, add a little corn starch.
You can diversify the taste of the sauce, make it more complete and rich. Fresh greens go well with it: dill, basil, watercress. Instead of salt, you can use soy sauce. Some add chopped pickled onions to homemade chili sauce. In this case, you will need to cut it smaller in advance, pour boiling water over it, add a couple drops of vinegar, a pinch of sugar and a little salt. When the water has cooled, carefully squeeze the onion and add it to the sauce. Thanks to boiling water, it will lose unnecessary bitterness, but its aromas and pungency will not damage high temperatures.
For those who like spicy
If you want to "increase the degree", that is, to make the sauce even more burning, feel free to experiment. Do not increase the amount of pepper immediately by 2-3 times, the result may turn out too expressive. If 2 pods are indicated in the recipe, but the cooked sauce seemed insufficiently vigorous, next time use 3 pods.
In general, chili is a hot sauce that should cause a burning sensation. Strengthen the effect with garlic and dry seasonings. For a basic recipe, you can use both young garlic and ordinary heads. Love sharper? Double the amount of garlic. You can also add chili pepper powder to the finished sauce until the concentration reaches the desired level.
Harmony of flavors: sweet and sour sauce
If classic chili sauce refers us to the culinary traditions of Latin America, then its sweet and sour interpretation is a classic of the Far East. It is widely used for cooking Chinese and Thai dishes. If you want to make sweet and sour chili sauce, you can move away from the traditional vegetable base for Mexican cuisine. In Asia, the sauce is prepared differently.
- water - 100 ml
- corn starch - 1 tablespoon,
- sugar - 50 g
- chilli - 3 pcs.
- rice wine - 3 tablespoons
Preparing such a chili sauce at home is quite simple. Put water with sugar, salt and wine to boil, and at this time grind the vegetables into gruel. Dissolve the starch in a small amount of water, pour into a boiling mixture in a thin stream. Add vegetables and let the mixture boil. It remains only to salt to taste.
There is an even sharper version of this dish. It combines a very slight spiciness with pronounced sweetness. It is achieved due to a small amount of honey, brown or cane sugar. Sweet chili sauce can be prepared according to any favorite recipe, only pepper needs to be taken half as much, and at the end of cooking, add 1 tsp. honey or sugar.
Harvesting for future use
Mistresses who mastered this recipe say that it makes sense to procure more wonderful treats. If you decide to make chili sauce at home for the winter, use the following recipe. Prepare these products:
- tomatoes - 4 kg,
- onion - 6 pcs.,
- vegetable oil - 30 ml,
- chili pepper - 0.35 kg
- salt - 6 tsp,
- sugar - 12 tsp,
- wine vinegar - 40 ml,
- garlic - 8 cloves,
Grind pepper, garlic, parsley in a blender. Tomatoes are passed through a meat grinder. In a cauldron we heat the oil, fry the pepper mass for about two minutes. Add minced tomato, simmer for half an hour over low heat. Grind the mixture through a sieve to make the sauce tender. Add sugar and salt, boil again. At the very end, pour in the vinegar. We pack it in sterile jars, seal it and send it to the pantry.
Chili sauce on the table
Having prepared chili sauce at home for the winter, you can use it for cooking a variety of dishes. It goes well with pasta, stewed side dishes. In the East, it is added to traditional soups, meat sauce. You can cook with the addition of this sauce marinades for meat and fish before baking or simply serve at the table in a saucepan.
For true gourmets, we’ll make - sweet chili sauce. It is a jelly, sweet, less spicy chili sauce. It is perfect for barbecue. For 10 chili pods, take a glass of sugar, a glass of water and a teaspoon of salt. To make the texture thicker, add starch diluted in water. I prepare 2 options: spicy-sweet (add to the main ingredients: bell pepper, brown sugar, tomato paste, oregano and vegetable broth) and sweet and sour Vietnamese (with rice wine). This option is great for seafood and fried fish. I also use it as a seasoning when baking chicken. Try baking the same way.
To make green chili sauce, beat in a blender: chili (green is better, but red can also be changed, although then the color will change), mint leaves, basil, parsley, 3 tablespoons of capers and 1 tablespoon of mustard seeds. Add freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice and vegetable oil. Green sauce does not need to be stewed, it is served cold. It turns out absolutely fresh sharp dressing. Be careful, she burns too!
- With tomatoes and bell pepper
Take 0.5 kg of tomatoes, 2 bell peppers, 1 head of garlic and bake everything in the oven until half cooked, then peel and chop them in a blender or chop finely, add to the bulk of the chili sauce and boil for 15 minutes. Allspice and wine vinegar will be a good addition. You get a spicy sauce, less spicy than usual, but very tasty.
For 150 g of chili, take 100 ml of rice vinegar, 150 g of sugar, 20 ml of fish or soy sauce, 3 cloves of garlic. Grind all the ingredients in a blender and simmer in a saucepan for 15 minutes. We dilute 20 g of starch with 2 tablespoons of water and pour into a saucepan with seasoning. Boil another 3 minutes to thicken. You will get a burning, viscous mass, which we will carefully and gladly eat, adding to fish and meat dishes. Who loves to be very sharp - this is for you!
If you decide to make Mexican chili sauce, it’s not difficult at all. It is made from dried chili peppers with the addition of cloves, garlic, vegetable oil and allspice. Pods should be soaked in hot water, put on fire, bring to a boil, then add more water and beat in a blender with the remaining components. Pour oil into a frying pan and blend mashed potatoes, removing the foam. You get a burning mass of a beautiful maroon color.
- The sauce will be thicker if you add starch to it.
- Add vinegar, garlic and get a product that is better preserved.
- If you want to diversify the sauce, add fried onions instead of garlic. It will turn out very tasty!
- Want to get the original chili - add pineapple puree.
- To peel peppers, hold them for 2 minutes in boiling water. Without peels and seeds, the sauce will be more tender, jelly.
- The sauce will have an unusual taste if you bake peppers in the oven before cooking until half-cooked.
- To reduce the severity, take larger peppers.
- Ginger gives spicy dressing a spicy flavor.
- It will turn out very tasty if you add mango. It must be stewed in coconut milk. It will turn out orange chili sauce.
- Particularly hot peppers in the seeds, so do not remove them if you need to be sharpened.
- If you overdo it and everything in your mouth burns, then do not drink it with water or alcohol. To reduce the “heat” will help bread, milk, butter.
- Any soups can be sharpened a little if you add a tablespoon of chili at the end of cooking.
- Add applesauce to make the sauce less spicy.
- If you cook a sauce without vegetable oil, it can easily burn, so I advise you to add 2 tablespoons of olive or sunflower oil.
- To decorate the mass, cut into small circles 1-2 chili peppers and add to the finished sauce.
- Dried chili is also suitable for making sauce. Steam it with boiling water before chopping.
- You can’t eat a lot of this sauce, so serve it in miniature sauces.
Very healthy / unhealthy sauce
The pungency, pungent aroma and original taste gives the sauce the biologically active substance capsaicin. It has an analgesic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory effect on the body. Therefore, moderate use of chili sauce undoubtedly benefits the body:
- it helps lower blood cholesterol,
- destroys cancer cells
- brings pressure back to normal
- speeds up metabolism and heat production.
But even such a useful product as chili sauce, if overeating, can cause a lot of harm to people suffering:
- high blood pressure
- inflammation of the gastric mucosa,
- angina pectoris
- impaired renal function.
And yet you should not be afraid to include a wonderful chili sauce in your diet. Just remember - everything is good in moderation!
We cooked hot sauce at home. He, of course, is an amateur, but we know for sure that there are many such lovers. If you are one of them, feel free to get down to business and prepare the sauce with your own hands. That's where the expanse for culinary experiments! Add whatever you want to the classic recipe and try the sauce with various dishes. Then be sure to tell about your results in the comments. We will exchange opinions.
How to serve:
Ready meals, mainly meat or vegetables. Sometimes the sauce is served with fish. It is good both cold and warm.
In Japanese cuisine, as well as Thai, sauce is also used in the manufacture of first courses, we have learned to preserve it for the winter.
Usually miniature sauces are used to serve fresh sauce, as it is quite spicy, and a tasting dish should only emphasize, not overshadow, the taste of the meal.
Tasting chili sauce is best for a little bit, almost drip. By the way, the sharpness during storage of the sauce becomes less aggressive.
Classic Chili Sauce
This recipe has a sharp, sweet taste with subtle acidity. Plus - you can improve it to your liking.
- chili pepper - 300-350 gr.
- garlic - 2 heads
- wine or apple vinegar - 3 tbsp. l
- granulated sugar (white or brown) - 3 tbsp. l
- starch (preferably corn) - 0.5 tbsp. (optional)
- vegetable oil (or olive) - 2 tsp (optional)
- allspice - 5 pcs.
- salt - 1.5 tsp
You need to cook like this:
- With my chili, remove seeds and membranes from it, and clean the cloves of garlic. We transform both components (with the exception of one peppercorn) into mashed potatoes using a blender.
- Cut the last pepper in the smallest way and add in mashed potatoes along with sugar, vinegar and salt.
- Boil the resulting composition for 5-10 minutes on low heat. So that the sauce does not burn to it, you can add vegetable oil, and so that it is thicker - starch. If you will add starch, then first dilute it in a small amount of cold water.
- Ready sauce is transferred to small jars, cooled and refrigerated, or eat hot.
How to diversify the recipe:
- Use several varieties of pepper.
- Reduce the amount of garlic.
- Increase the amount of sugar.
- Add fried or fresh onions to the composition.
- Replace vinegar with rice wine (mirin).
- To give greater acidity in the recipe, you can enter up to 4 tablespoons. lime juice (lemon) or pineapple and mashed 3-4 tomatoes.
- Add a pinch of dried ginger or a little (50-70 g) freshly grated to the composition. Cilantro and 3-5 tbsp will be perfectly combined with ginger. lime juice.
- To make it even sharper (Mexican sauce), add 2 buds of cloves to the sauce.
- To get green chili, you need to add basil (leaves) - 10 g., Parsley - 20 g., Mint - 4-6 branches, mustard seeds - 1 tbsp. The components are crushed and whipped with olive oil - 6 tbsp., Lemon juice - 30 ml and a cooled classic sauce. It is especially good with fish and seafood.
Chili and bell pepper sauce
- chili peppers - 4 pods
- Bulgarian pepper (sweet) - 2 pcs.
- tomatoes - 2 pcs.
- tomato paste - 2 tbsp. l
- meat broth - 1 cup (250 ml)
- sugar (better than cane) - 1 tsp
- garlic - 2 cloves
- oregano - 1 tsp
You need to cook like this:
- Bell pepper, tomatoes and peeled garlic cloves are baked for 40-60 minutes.
- We clear chili from seeds and soak in hot water for 3-5 minutes.
- Grind baked vegetables and chilli with a blender, add tomato paste and broth in mashed potatoes, add granulated sugar and oregano.
- Bring the mass to a boil and, reducing heat, simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- The sauce is sent in jars. Keep in the refrigerator.
Meat Chilli Sauce
- chili peppers - 3 pcs.
- bell pepper - 2 pcs.
- tomatoes - 5-6 pcs.
- onions - 2 pcs.
- ginger - 10 gr.
- wine vinegar - 1 tbsp. l
- vegetable oil - 5 tbsp. l
- sugar, salt and cinnamon - 1 tsp each
- carnations - 2 buds
You need to cook like this:
- We clean chili from seeds and partitions, fry onions if desired or use raw.
- Grind peppers, tomatoes and onions and put in a deep pan, simmer in oil for about half an hour.
- We introduce grated ginger, spices and spices into the composition, pass the mass through a sieve, add vinegar and boil over low heat for 60-90 minutes.
- The sauce is sent in jars. Keep in the refrigerator.
- chili pepper - 5-6 pcs.
- garlic - 3 large cloves
- rice vinegar (apple) 7-9% or mirin - 4 tbsp. l
- sugar - 2/3 cup (approx. 150 gr.)
- fish sauce -1 tbsp. l
- starch (preferably corn) - 1 tbsp. l
- water - 150 ml
You need to cook like this:
- Chile cleanse from seeds and partitions.
- All components (except starch) are placed in a blender bowl and turned into mashed potatoes.
- Pour the mixture into a thick-walled container, and boil it after boiling for 3-5 minutes. It will begin to thicken, and slices of vegetables will soften.
- We dilute starch in 20-30 ml of cold water (taken separately) and pour into the sauce. We stand on fire for 1-2 minutes and can be poured into jars.
When stored for more than 2 weeks, it becomes less sharp and more liquid - this is not a sign of spoilage, but a reaction of pepper with starch. Traditionally, there was no starch in the sauce - thickening was due to sugar.
Fish sauce in its absence is replaced by salt - 0.5 tsp. (no slide).
Chili sauce: the history and traditions of cooking
Red chili pepper - an indispensable component of seasoning - appeared in Latin America. The ancient Aztecs considered the vegetable sacred and even presented it to their deities. Subsequently, the Spaniards and the Portuguese revealed its unusual taste to Europeans. Today, chili is the most common in Thailand, and in India it is considered the most powerful aphrodisiac and is always used in local dishes.
Помимо красного перца, в соус традиционно кладут чеснок, уксус, соль, сахар, иногда крахмал с имбирем, лимонным соком.
Различают острый, сладкий и кисло-сладкий чили. В составе сладкого – больше сахара, крахмала и душистого перца. Соус отлично сочетается с рыбой и мясом, а также овощными гарнирами. Подается как в горячем, так и в холодном виде. В Италии его добавляют в пасту и пиццу.
Benefits of Chili Sauce
The unique fiery taste of seasoning is due to capsaicin. With regular use of the sauce, the risk of heart disease is reduced, the immune system improves, and efficiency increases. Chili sauce contains a large concentration of beneficial elements and vitamins, and only 120 calories.
Gourmet seasoning can be bought ready-made, but it is better to make it yourself. Hand-made chili sauce is not only tasty, but also healthy, as it does not contain dyes or preservatives. In addition, it is perfectly stored in the refrigerator.
A wide variety of recipes for making chili sauce is known. Do not be afraid to conduct culinary experiments, add new ingredients to the main ingredients. Over time, you will develop your own recipe, which will surely appeal to your friends and relatives.
Thermonuclear Chili Sauce: A Traditional Seasoning Recipe
Both an experienced chef and an amateur amateur cook can prepare chili sauce. Having mastered the classic recipe, you can vary the cooking process in accordance with your taste preferences.
- red Chilean pepper (350 g),
- garlic (1.5-2 heads),
- salt (1.5 tsp),
- sugar, vinegar (3 tbsp each),
- allspice (5 pcs.).
Step-by-step cooking instructions
- Pepper - wash, garlic - peel.
- To clear the third part of the Chilean pepper from grains. Grind in a blender with garlic.
- Finely chop the chili pod, mix with the rest of the ingredients, add vinegar, salt, sugar to the resulting mixture.
- Cook over medium heat for ten minutes.
- Serve hot to meat or roll up in jars and store in the refrigerator.
If you want to make the sauce thicker, add half a tablespoon of starch during cooking. But with vegetable oil (2 tsp) your sauce will definitely not burn. In order to diversify the taste of traditional chili sauce, you can:
- combine peppers of different varieties,
- replace the garlic with fried fresh onions,
- add tomato puree, lime juice or pineapple.
A special kind of sauce - green chili - is obtained by mixing greens: basil, cloves, mint, parsley, mustard. All components must be crushed, add olive oil, lemon juice, mix with traditional sauce. This option perfectly complements the taste of seafood dishes and goes well with fish.
Hot chili sauce: the subtleties of cooking
In order to prepare this variety of sauce, you need to take two pieces of tomato, Bulgarian peppers, cloves of garlic, hot pepper (4 pods), brown sugar and oregano, you will also need tomato paste (2 tbsp.) And meat broth (300 ml.).
To make hot chili pepper sauce, you must:
- Wash the tomatoes, bell pepper, dry, put on a baking sheet with unpeeled garlic cloves.
- Bake vegetables in the oven for 20 minutes at a temperature of 200 ° C.
- To make the sauce taste really burning, hold the chili in hot water, then release it from seeds and peel.
- Peel baked peppers and garlic.
- Using a blender, grind peeled peppers and garlic until smooth.
- Mix tomatoes, tomato paste with broth and oregano, sugar.
- Add a mixture of peppers and garlic, mix, salt.
- Simmer the sauce for 15-20 minutes.
Serve with your favorite dishes chilled or hot - thrills guaranteed!
Sweet Chili Sauce: A True Gourmet Recipe
Sweet chili sauce has a mild, delicate spicy taste. To spice it up, add a couple of cloves of garlic. Sweet chili sauce goes well with main dishes. He fell in love with barbecue lovers who use seasoning to prepare the marinade.
For the sauce you will need: 10 pods of chili pepper, 200 ml of Chinese vinegar or mirin, 2 cups of granulated sugar, a pinch of salt and a glass of water.
- Peel the veins and seeds, finely chopped.
- Put in a container with thick walls, add mirin, sugar, salt, add water and cook after boiling for fifteen minutes. Diluted corn starch can be added to add density.
- Pour the hot sauce into glass containers.
Video of making spicy sweet sauce:
Thanks to its surprisingly mild taste, seasoning is combined with various dishes of oriental cuisine - rolls, sushi, curry. Sweet chili sauce is ideal as a chicken dressing.
Mango and Chili Sauce
Chili mango sauce is the pearl of Asian cuisine. The seasoning with grilled dishes is especially good. Spicy and at the same time tender sauce perfectly reveals their taste. To prepare, you will need a ripe mango fruit, a pod of red pepper, 50 ml of coconut milk, a teaspoon of granulated sugar and salt.
- Peel the mango, put in a pan, pour coconut milk (you can replace the cream with the addition of coconut). Stew until the fruit softens.
- Stir the mango, sugar, add sliced pepper, simmer for five minutes.
- Serve with steak, shrimp and other grilled dishes.
- In order to make the sauce less spicy, you need to choose larger peppers and chop them as small as possible. A spicy flavor seasoning will give tomatoes, apples, lemon juice, ginger.
- Never use chili sauce with alcohol or water. Bakery products will help reduce bitterness.
- For the preparation of chili, you can use dry peppers. Before cutting, they are steamed with boiling water.
- If you want a more burning taste of seasoning, do not take out the seeds.
- The severity of the sauce decreases during prolonged storage.
Serve fresh sauce preferably in a miniature saucepan, it goes well with barbecue, poultry, fish. You can add seasoning before you finish cooking the soup, in the salad. In a word, try different options and surprise your loved ones with delicious delicacies!
And finally, how to make chili sauce video recipe from Jamie Oliver: