With the onset of bad, rainy weather, every man begins to think about the problem of clean shoes. Although there are many options for protecting your shoes from dirt and water (for example, wearing galoshes or just rubber boots, and changing shoes in the office), we are sometimes too lazy to come up with something or think that it’s not so scary to wet shoes. However, I have to upset you. Good leather shoes, if not taken care of, will deteriorate after the first “wet” season and you will have to throw away your favorite shoes. That is why, in this article we will tell you how to clean your shoes to shine and for one thing to protect them from dirt and water.
There are two types of shoe polish to choose from: cream and wax. What you choose, a polishing cream or just wax, depends on how much polished shoes you need. Shoe cream gives medium shine, but moisturizes the skin well and renews the color of the shoe. Keep in mind that if you choose the wrong shade of cream for your colored leather shoes, you can change the color of the shoes, so be careful in choosing a cream.
Shoe wax, in turn, wipes out minor damage to the skin, scuffs and gives a strong shine after polishing shoes. But he does not update the color of the shoe, as the wax is sold in a natural color - beige.
For regular care, I still recommend using a shoe polish with matching colors for your leather shoes. There are less problems with it, and it copes better with protection against moisture.
A shoe polishing cloth is needed to polish your shoes to shine. A special rag for polishing can be purchased at a shoe store, at the same time, a plain old cotton T-shirt will also work. All you need to do is wrap some fabric around your fingers and polish your shoes.
Brush for footwear
A shoe brush is the main tool that cannot be dispensed with. I highly recommend buying a brush with natural horsehair. Why with horsehair? The fact is that such hair is stiff enough so that the brush normally cleaned the shoes and soft enough so as not to damage the skin on the shoes. A good brush is inexpensive, and lasts for many years. Do not skimp.
Step 2. Cleaning from dust and dirt
Take a prepared rag and wipe the entire surface of the boot from dirt and dust. If there is too much dirt or it gets stuck in hard to reach places, use a small brush with a handle or an old toothbrush. If the shoe’s surface is very dirty, wet a piece of cloth and walk over it to surely remove any dirt. Before proceeding to the next step, let the shoe dry for about 10 minutes and finally inspect the pair if all the dirt has cleared.
Step 3. Apply shoe polish
Apply shoe polish to the shoe in an amount sufficient to treat the entire surface. Rub the cream in a circular motion, this will allow the cream to better absorb into the surface of the skin and evenly distribute the cream on the boot. If necessary, apply another shoe polish until you finish treating the entire surface and it becomes dull. Do not forget about the small brush and use it to spread the cream in hard to reach places. Let the cream soak and dry for about 10 minutes.
Step 4. Shoe polishing
Take the prepared horsehair brush and polish the shoes by moving the brush from side to side with sharp movements. Shoes will begin to gain a little shine.
Take a polishing cloth and drop a little water on your shoes (you can just soak a cloth in water). In a circular motion, polish your shoes to shine, dampening a rag if necessary. Note that too much water is not needed, just a damp cloth is enough, so that water does not drip from it.
Step 3. Final shoe polishing
Wet a rag with water, wrap around two fingers (middle and forefinger), and in a circular motion bring the shoes to shine.
The time that you will spend on such a shoe shine will be approximately 3-4 minutes, however even such an express option will protect your shoes from the weather and will make you look good.
Shoe Care Tips
- If you ruined the shoes with salt, which is sprinkled on the streets in winter, take a glass of warm water and add a teaspoon of table vinegar (concentrate, not diluted 6%). Moisten a cotton rag with vinegar and apply to the salt stains before cleaning your shoes well.
- Use wooden shoe struts, they do not allow the shoes to wrinkle during storage in the summer and allow the shoes to “breathe”.
- Always wear shoes with a spoon (shoehorn). You save the heel of your shoes and do not violate its integrity.
- If your shoes are dry and scuffed, buy a good conditioner for your shoes and return them to their normal appearance.
That’s probably all. I am sure that now there should be no difficulties for men, and they will know how to clean their shoes and their shoes, in particular. I wish everyone to keep their favorite shoes for many years and look good in the eyes of those around you. Good luck
Types of leather shoes
To date, the following types of leather shoes are distinguished: with and without finishing, lacquered, colored and white. Each type responds in a certain way to weather conditions and the effects of cleaning products. Therefore, there is no single, universal way to clean shoes from genuine leather from stains and dirt. Each type has its own cleaning methods.
Manufacturers use oil or wax finishes on their skin to create an attractive shine. To clean your leather shoes with a finish, you will need a soft brush, a clean cloth and room temperature water.
- Carefully walk the brush over the shoe, cleaning it from dust that has settled on.
- Get rid of adhering dirt with a dry cloth.
- Then moisten the cloth in water, squeeze it well and wipe thoroughly the entire surface of the shoe.
- At the end of the procedure, leave the shoes to dry in a well-ventilated area away from sunlight and artificial heat sources.
If stains remain on the shoes after cleaning and drying, carefully remove them with a cotton pad moistened with water-vinegar (1: 1) solution.
Leather without finishing
Leather shoes, boots or boots without finishing are recommended to be cleaned with saddle soap (it can be purchased at a shoe or hardware store).
- Clean the shoes from dirt and dust with a soft brush, then go over the entire surface with a slightly damp cloth or sponge.
- Then make a saddle soap solution with lush foam and apply it to complex stains of dirt and traces of technical salt.
- Lightly rub the dirt, wait about a minute and rinse off the remaining foam with warm water.
Skin without finishing is more susceptible to environmental influences than the material that has undergone this treatment. When the shoe dries, be sure to apply a special cream on it and a couple of drops of mink oil.
Patent leather shoes
Patent leather is rather capricious in leaving. So, shoes made of such leather are strictly forbidden to be washed in water. For the manufacture of patent leather, natural and synthetic resins are used, which, under the influence of moisture, can lose their properties. Patent leather shoes should be cleaned very carefully with a soft makeup puff.
- Moisten the sponge lightly with water and carefully clean the surface of the shoe.
- Do not use force, otherwise dust grains will scratch delicate skin.
- At the end, wipe the shoes with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth.
How to clean nubuck at home?
Simple ways to stretch leather shoes
Is it possible to wash shoes in an automatic machine?
Colored and white shoes
Color - red, green, yellow - chemical dyes give the skin. The procedure for cleaning colored leather shoes depends on whether the skin has finished. The only thing you will have to torment with is the choice of a cream or spray that is ideally suited for the color. However, you can always use a colorless composition.
White leather shoes need some care. It is quite difficult to clean it of dirt and complex stains without deforming the surface and spoiling its appearance. So, to cleanse white skin from impurities, you will need a gentle hand soap or neutral hair shampoo.
- Make a soapy solution, dampen a soft sponge (preferably white or without dyes) and wipe the shoes.
- Let it dry naturally in a ventilated, dark room.
- Stubborn stains can be removed with gasoline or a special product for cleaning white leather products.
Shoes, boots and boots made of quality leather are able to serve you faithfully for many years. Instead, they only ask for regular, regular cleaning. In addition, experts sometimes recommend giving leather shoes "rest" from their feet and ventilate. So you will increase the term of her socks even more.