Steam is a popular gaming platform where you can download and install games, chat and compete with other participants, exchange items. The choice of content at the moment is very wide, there are almost all popular novelties of different genres.
The Steam has developed convenient functionality for downloading games.
Some games provide free use, for the rest you have to pay. In Steam, campaigns are often held for the free distribution of programs, or rather keys to them. For example, if an advertising campaign is being conducted for a novelty of a genre, they can give out a free key to it, which will operate for a limited amount of time. Or if you bought something, then you will be offered a temporary key for another offer of a similar genre. And also, sometimes, shares of iron producers are held, for example, for owners of a certain brand of video cards. Steam has a special section http://store.steampowered.com/freestuff/demos/ that offers free content.
The platform is popular because it makes the purchase of content affordable and convenient. You do not need to go to the store and look at each disk at the counter. Simply download the game in Steam, after installing the client program and registering. And after installation, you can easily install updates through the same client.
Download and Install
If you first decided to download the game in Steam, you need:
- Go to the official website http://store.steampowered.com/about/ and click "Install Steam."
- Create an account by creating a username and password.
- Launch the application. After installation, the tray icon will appear.
- In the menu bar at the top, select “Store.”
- Find the content you need. You can use the search field in the upper right corner.
- Once found, click "Add to Cart".
- Go to the basket by clicking the corresponding button in the upper right corner of the screen.
- At the bottom of the order there will be buttons offering to buy yourself or a friend. Click Buy It Now.
- Pay for your purchase.
- Now select the "Library" section.
- You will see a list of all purchased programs. If this is the first purchase, then one.
- Click "Install" and wait for the process to complete.
- After the game has been downloaded and installed, the “Run” button will appear. Now you can play.
Where are installed games in Steam stored?
Whatever you install on Steam, all of this is located here:
Games that are not installed yet, but are just loading, can be found in the folder:
Program Files (x86) Steam steamapps downloading
Thus, when the game is fully downloaded, it is transferred to the common folder.
As soon as the game is downloaded and you click on the “Install” button on Steam, the program goes to the common folder and checks whether the installation of the game is really required. And if there are already any game files in this folder, then Steam checks to see if everything is there and what needs to be downloaded.
Steam at a Glance
The entertainment and gaming platform Steam, an Internet resource where registered users download computer games based on interests and preferences. Genre diversity, affordable prices, support, rewards and cards for achievements stimulate players to make new acquisitions, to buy the continuation of their favorite video games.
In the Steam database, there are more than 10,000 Windows games that are available to users for free, or at a price of 3 euros or more. The platform supports Linux operating systems, for which over 1.5 thousand games are available, and Mac OS - at least 2500.
January 2018 was a record for Steam - 18 million people simultaneously played online in multiplayer games.
Steam was developed and released by Valve. The main task of the portal is to protect the copyright of the creators of computer games that exhibit new products and old developments on this resource. Also, the platform has become a means for electronic distribution of games.
Promotions, demos, weekend discounts help test the latest in the gaming industry. Based on the analysis of the number of downloads and reviews, a report is compiled that promotes new “toys” before they are sold in stores.
Registered Steam users get the following benefits and features:
- save game data automatically
- receive free updates,
- activate versions of games on disks,
- broadcast and chat,
- take screenshots and videos,
- Receive news
- Create communities and groups
- receive cards for achievements,
- receive discounts on purchase or get a free game,
- listen to music recorded on the device,
- open access to the library of games (family access),
- back up your account,
- count on technical support.
For third-party gaming programs in the platform, only some functions may be available:
- chatting with friends who see installed gaming applications,
- a screenshot works,
- game moments are being broadcast.
How to add games to the Steam library
Most players use games from different companies, storing applications and programs on the computer. Steam allows you to run them from the console. In this case, it does not matter where the program was downloaded from.
If the installation files are recorded on your computer’s hard drive, you can easily and simply add them to the Steam library. This helps to efficiently use the memory and capabilities of the computer.
- Launch Steam. In the lower left part of the console, select the + "add game" button.
- From the pop-up window, select the "Add a third-party ..." tab.
- In the next window, select the necessary file in the computer (application, file with the extension .exe) through the "Browse" button.
- Tick. Click on the “Add Selected” button.
- The game will be added to the library.
- Open the "Library". From the drop-down list, select the “Games” tab.
- The list will appear on the left.
- You can change the name of the game application in Steam through the properties.
- Select an icon from images on your computer.
Installing a game purchased on Steam from a computer
The low speed of the Internet does not allow you to download the necessary files through your account. If the program with the game was purchased through Steam, then you need to manually record it in your account library. Users, in this case, take the saved files elsewhere from the player who has already downloaded them.
- Copy the game folder to the USB flash drive from the Steam steamapps common folder.
- Embed it in a new folder on another computer, for example, on D: Steam steamapps common.
- In the Games tab of the Steam Library, find the file you want.
- Click on the “Install” button, and in the pop-up window select the path to the folder that was created on the D: Steam disk.
- Checking and updating begins, if necessary.
- Then install. At the same time, a warning appears about the possible loss of saves. This is due to the fact that the game was downloaded on the computer of another person who has an account.
Adding previously installed games to the Steam library
When changing or reinstalling the operating system, there is a problem with the installation of already downloaded game applications from Steam. If the files were saved by default to drive C, then the games must be reloaded, since upon reinstallation these files will be erased by the new system.
And if they were saved before changing the operating system to another drive, then restore it as follows:
- To do this, open a Steam account. Confirm with a verification code. Previously purchased products will be displayed in the library.
- Save the steamapps folder on the D: Games drive where the installed games are stored. In the Games folder, create a new folder, for example, Games1.
- In the library of Steam, click on the name of the video game "Install." Select the installation location D: Games Games1. Installation begins.
- At this time, exit the platform through the Exit button. Close the taskbar icon (on the desktop, bottom right).
- Go to the folder D: Games Games1 and delete the files that were created there.
- Cut the steamapps folder with the right mouse button and paste it into the Games1 folder.
- Open Steam, start the Library. Games will be loaded into the computer.
Little tricks help users play online with friends. For a stable game and the work of programs that depend on the Internet, it is worth checking the providers who offer new tariffs and Internet connection speeds.
And then there will be no need to run around with flash drives and write down difficult addresses, study materials on the Internet. And it's easier to create a backup of Steam - there is a button in the settings for this.
In Steam, there is the possibility of remote download. For example, it is installed on two machines, a computer and a laptop. Or you logged in to your account from another device. Then you can buy and pay for the game from this device, and the download will remotely begin on the attached computer:
- Access the game platform from any device.
- Make a purchase.
- In the library, click "Install", the system itself will ask you about installing on a remote computer.
- Confirm and start the download. Naturally, the remote computer must be turned on.
It is also possible to install a game purchased and downloaded from another computer that you brought, for example, on a USB flash drive. To do this, on the computer where it is located, from the Steam interface, make a backup of it, and then restore it to another device.
On the Internet there are many instructions for downloading free games from torrents or from Steam itself. In the case of torrents, installation instructions usually go to them. Usually an .exe file is simply launched and it carries out the correct installation through Steam. As for the free download of paid content, this involves the use of all kinds of patches and hacker programs, which, of course, puts the security of your computer at risk.
So the safest way to download any game in the Steam platform is through the program itself, making a purchase, if it is paid.
Or if you have a key, then go to the library, click "Add" and enter it.
In some cases, it is convenient to use remote download or transfer from another computer, for example, if you have a low Internet connection speed.
How to install the game in Steam?
1. Go to the folder on the specified path and create another folder with the name of the game there:
2. Then open Steam, select the game you added and click on the "Install" button. It may start downloading the missing files, but it does not take much time.
If at first they started downloading the game through the Steam client, then afterwards it will not be possible to slip ready files into it. By copying the files to the common folder and to the downloading folder - you can’t install the game. Therefore, you must first delete the game through the Steam client (if you have it installed), then delete the temporary directory in the downloading folder corresponding to this game and the corresponding file with the extension .patch in the same name. After carrying out the installation first.
Thus, you do not have to wait long for Steam to download the game. This method works in most cases. The main thing is to be careful and not to be mistaken in writing the name of the game.
Thank the author, share the article on social networks.