Aluminum is a light, strong metal that heats up quickly and evenly. These qualities make it suitable for the manufacture of kitchen utensils, primarily pots and pans, colanders.
However, initially shiny or even matte aluminum household items lose their attractive appearance, covered with oxide, stains, hard-to-wash coating or burn to black.
Such dishes are unpleasant and even dangerous to use for cooking. Therefore, it is recommended to figure out how to clean utensils from aluminum, to get rid of carbon deposits and oxides.
The disadvantages of aluminum include the softness of the metal, its instability to abrasive influences. If you plan to keep the shine of the pots longer, refuse to use wire washcloths and brushes, abrasive sponges, sandpaper.
Even the use of a melamine sponge, which can rid the metal of the oxidation film, will affect the appearance of the utensil - the shiny surface will become dull due to numerous micro scratches.
Polishing with GOI paste will help to return it to perfect condition - rags soaked in a solvent are rubbed with a piece of hard paste and then polished the metal surface to a mirror shine.
Choosing how to clean aluminum, it is worth paying attention to substances that are almost always at hand for any housewife. These include:
- Laundry soap
- baking soda,
- table vinegar
- lemon juice or citric acid,
- dairy products,
- cream of tartar,
- stationery glue,
- oxalic acid, etc.
When cleaning aluminum utensils from blackness, stains and soot film, use brushes with semi-rigid polymer bristles, foam sponges, cloths made of cotton or microfiber, rags.
If tips on how to clean a burnt pot or pan at home do not help to cope with the task, you can try using special tools for cleaning porcelain and glass. Or to resort to such means as "Chister", "Bugs Shumanit", "Oven Cleaner", etc. Use special equipment, acting according to the manufacturer's instructions.
The brand-new aluminum utensils shine attractively, but after a while of regular use it dims and becomes covered with unaesthetic spots. Usually housewives for washing aluminum utensils use the same familiar composition as for pots and pans made of other materials, primarily stainless steel.
But this is the wrong approach. Conventional dishwashing detergents are able to clean the aluminum surface from ordinary contaminants, but they will not save from oxidation, they will not be able to completely protect against the gradual formation of plaque, which, under the regular influence of high temperatures, turns into carbon deposits over time.
Therefore, as necessary, including if food is accidentally burnt during cooking, you should use effective methods for cleaning aluminum utensils using home or special products.
Methods for cleaning aluminum from stains, oxide
Option 1. Acidic liquid. A coating, dark spots can be removed by pouring kefir or sour milk, cucumber pickle, Coca-Cola on the bottom of the dishes and leaving it for 10-12 hours.
The sides of the pan can be wrapped with rags soaked in the appropriate composition, and moistened several times with it, avoiding drying out. After soaking, the utensils are washed under a stream of cool water and the dirt is wiped off with a soft cloth.
Option 2. Sour apples. Chopped apples rub the surface of the aluminum cookware if it has darkened over time. After waiting about an hour, you can repeat the procedure. Then the dishes are washed and scrubbed with a rag or soft sponge.
Option 3. How to clean aluminum to a shine using table salt. If the pan is blackened, it is placed in a solution of table salt at room temperature for half an hour or an hour.
To prepare the solution, warm water and salt are used in a 1: 1 ratio; it is important to wait until complete dissolution. After soaking with a sponge, clean the surface to a shine, then rinse with cool water.
Option 4. Tartar. This is the classic way that has been resorted to since the time when aluminum cookware was just beginning to enter into everyday life. Tartar is formed at the bottom of containers in which wine is stored for a long time.
This precipitate is collected and dissolved in hot water. After the solution cools down, a soft cloth or napkin is well moistened in it, after which an aluminum object is treated with traces of darkening and oxide.
To grate the dishes to a mirror shine, thick gruel is prepared from tartar and water. Polishing will take a lot of time and require some effort.
Then the dishes are washed in cool water and wiped dry with a soft cloth. Cleansing with tartar is considered to be more gentle compared to using citric acid or vinegar, the effect of high temperatures during boiling.
Option 5. Soda. Sodium bicarbonate is poured into a small bowl or other suitable container, a little water is added until gruel is formed. The resulting composition is applied to the darkened surface of the pan and rubbed with a soft cloth. After polishing, rinse the dishes well.
Option 6. Soap solution + polishing. Shavings of laundry soap are dissolved in hot water, the utensils are soaked in it. Then washed and processed to a shine with a sponge, using a mixture of ammonia (5 grams) and borax (15 grams).
Methods for cleaning carbon deposits
Layered soot from the outside of the pan or leftover food on the bottom, which is burnt and tightly stuck to a metal surface, cannot be removed by the methods described above. Consider potent cleaning methods.
Option 1. Soda + glue. Pots or a pan made of aluminum, on the walls of which carbon deposits formed, are soaked for 3-4 hours in a solution prepared from baking soda, stationery glue and water.
Ten liters of hot water are poured into a container of suitable size, then one hundred grams of soda and silicate glue are dissolved in it. The utensils soaked in the cooled solution are cleaned with a sponge to shine and thoroughly rinsed in clean water.
Option 2. Table vinegar. If you do not have at your disposal special means with which you can effectively clean a burned-out aluminum pan, use ordinary table or apple vinegar (6 or 9%), it is also allowed to dilute the essence in a proportion of 1 part to 10 parts of water.
Vinegar should be poured into a pan or pan, at the bottom of which food is burnt. The dishes are placed on the stove and include strong heating. Bring the liquid to a boil, remove the frying pan or pan from the heat and allow it to cool completely.
When the temperature of the liquid reaches room temperature, use the sponge to wash off the remains of burnt food. Then the dishes are washed well under running water.
Vinegar can also be used to clean aluminum utensils from dark spots, oxide. It is enough to moisten the rags with the composition and carefully process the aluminum surfaces.
When using vinegar, remember to protect your skin with rubber gloves. If the option with boiling is selected, open the window for ventilation, turn on the hood so that the pungent odor does not spread throughout the apartment.
Knowing how to clean a pan or pan of aluminum, you can easily figure out how to clean other products from this metal that are on the farm, for example, moldings on kitchen furniture.
But it is important to know that the choice of cleaning products for anodized aluminum, which has an attractive yellow-golden color, is limited - you can use only laundry soap and a mixture of ammonia with borax for polishing.
Aluminum is a metal whose surface is painted silver with a light white tint. This material has certain features that should be familiarized with in advance. These include the following:
- High density. Products made from such metal are very durable and do not undergo mechanical damage.
- Good thermal conductivity. This figure is almost the same as silver, gold or copper.
- Protection against corrosion plaque. Aluminum structures never rust, but instead of rust, oxide can appear on their surface.
How to clean at home
There are several effective tools that will help at home to clean the aluminum surface from the formed oxide.
To eliminate the oxidation that appears on the aluminum surface, you can use baking soda. The main advantage of such a tool is its availability, since soda powder is in almost every home.
Before proceeding with the elimination of oxides, it is necessary to prepare a solution. To do this, 150 grams of soda is added to 300-400 milliliters of water. The mixture is stirred until a thick slurry is formed. The prepared composition is used to treat the damaged surface and wash it off with water.
Many people believe that carbonated drinks can only be used as a drink, but this is not so. Housewives use them to remove rust and oxidation from metal surfaces. Among the most effective drinks are Coca-Cola, which will help restore the aluminum product. To eliminate oxides, the damaged coating is placed in an effervescent liquid container and left for 40-60 minutes. If there is a lot of oxidation, the procedure is extended to 2-3 hours.
Some use only oxalic acid, but even fresh leaves of sorrel will help to eliminate oxides. First you need to put a bunch with sorrel leaves in a small pan and pour them with cold water. Then the container is installed on a gas stove and boiled for half an hour. When the liquid boils, an aluminum product is soaked in it.
The procedure lasts an hour and a half, after which the soaked surface is rinsed and wiped dry.
Effective tools that help quickly eliminate oxidation include citric acid. It in the amount of two tablespoons is added to a liter container, which is filled with cold water. Then the solution is brought to a boil, boiled for half an hour and removed from the gas stove. To eliminate recent traces of oxides, the surface is wiped with a sponge soaked in a solution of citric acid. To remove old oxidation, the product will have to be soaked in a liquid.
Fresh apples have trace elements that help remove oxidized stains from any metal surface. Using this method is very simple. It is enough to cut one apple into two equal parts, and then rub it with an oxidized trace. After 40-50 minutes, the treated coating is washed with soapy liquid and dried. If spots remain, the procedure is carried out again.
Mustard Powder, Vinegar and Salt
Sometimes, to eliminate blackening on the surface of aluminum products, agents are used that are prepared from several components at once. Effective is a solution created on the basis of mustard powder, vinegar and salt. The components are mixed to obtain a homogeneous mixture, after which a sponge is soaked in it and the oxidation is wiped. 20 minutes after application, everything is washed off with warmed water.
Aluminum utensils can be cleaned using table salt. To do this, 85 grams of salt is added to a liter of heated water. The components are mixed until the salt particles are completely dissolved in water. Then a cloth is soaked in the liquid and the contaminated area is wiped. Before using the product, it must be thoroughly rinsed to get rid of salt residues.
Effective anti-oxidation agents include products that contain natural acids. Most often, people use cucumber pickle, yogurt or ordinary kefir. Any of the listed funds is poured into a container, after which an aluminum component is soaked in it. After 10-15 hours, it is removed, rinsed and rubbed off from the remains of oxidized contaminants.
Cream of tartar
When removing browning on an aluminum surface, tartar is often used. To do this, 100 grams of the drug is dissolved in five liters of heated water. The product is placed in a container filled with liquid and soaked for at least two and a half hours. Then they take it out and wipe it with a dry sponge to get rid of the remaining traces of dirt. The procedure is carried out regularly, after the appearance of the first dark spots.
Sour milk, kefir, brine
These products contain natural acids that effectively fight oxidation. Brine, sour milk and kefir are not necessary to mix, and therefore these funds can be used separately. They are poured into a small pan, after which an aluminum part is placed in it. She is steeped for about three hours. This is enough to eliminate even old oxides.
Soda and glue
Sometimes serious oxidations appear on the metal, which are difficult to eliminate. In this case, it is better to use a product made from glue and soda. To create it, pour four liters of water into the pan, after which 80 grams of soda and 2-3 tablespoons of glutinous liquid are added to it. The prepared solution is boiled for forty minutes, and then the aluminum part is wiped with the created liquid.
Normal ketchup made from tomatoes will help remove minor oxidized traces. This is an unusual method that housewives use less often. The main advantage of this method is that after its application the aluminum surface will begin to shine.
To eliminate pollution, ketchup is applied to the surface with a thin layer and left there for 10-15 minutes. After that, it is washed off with running water, and the part is wiped with a dry towel.
Oxidations that appear on a metal surface can be eliminated with an ordinary bulb. To do this, pour some water into the pan and add a few onion heads. Then the mixture is boiled for 40-50 minutes, after which the part is soaked in the onion boiled liquid. You can also not boil the bulbs, but simply cut them and wipe them with a contaminated surface.
To clean new traces of oxide will help ordinary boiled water. The liquid must be boiled in advance in a small saucepan. Then boiling water is poured into a basin, in which all the parts that need to be cleaned will be soaked. Duration of soaking lasts about 3-4 hours. Then all products are washed and wiped from the remnants of water. If the oxides have not disappeared, you will have to use other, more effective means.
Dense oxidized film can be eliminated using a special pharmacy drill. To restore an aluminum product, perform the following steps:
- add 10-15 grams of borax to a glass of water,
- 3-4 drops of ammonia are mixed in a mixture,
- treat the metal coating with the prepared liquid,
- after forty minutes, the remaining composition is washed off the surface.
You can remove the layer of stubborn dirt with sodium hydroxide. The advantages of this procedure include the fact that it is easy to carry out at home. The agent in the amount of 150-200 grams is added to 7-8 liters of water and mixed thoroughly. It is necessary to use heated water, the temperature of which is 60-80 degrees. The prepared sodium solution should wash the part.
This carbonated drink has excellent cleansing properties that help restore contaminated aluminum coating. A few liters of Coke pour into the pan. Then they put the product in it and soak it for about an hour. During this time, the darkening should completely disappear.
If Cola did not help cope with the oxide, then you have to use the product more efficiently.
The most effective way to clean aluminum utensils is the use of household chemicals. Most often they use the drug "Mole", which is used to combat blockages in runoff pipes. A few tablespoons of powder are added to half a liter of water. The oxidized parts are placed in the created solution for two minutes, and then cleaned with a brush and soap solution.
Anodizing as a way of protection
When using this technique, it is necessary to add purified water mixed with sulfuric acid to a plastic container. Then a special power source is connected to the bath with electrolyte and to the workpiece. Electricity will be passed through the electrolytic solution. The procedure lasts 35-45 minutes, after which the product is washed from exfoliated dirt.
Rules for the care of aluminum utensils
There are several recommendations that will help to properly care for aluminum dishes:
- products must be washed after each use,
- ware should be stored in rooms with an average level of humidity,
- Do not use abrasive products during washing.
Aluminum cookware has some properties, due to which its use in everyday life is limited. Поэтому необходимо учитывать определенные нюансы приготовления пищи:
- Материал взаимодействует с различными кислотами. Если приготовить и оставить в посуде кашу или суп, то через некоторое время они прокисают и портят емкость.
- В алюминиевой утвари нередко варят продукты для разных заготовок на зиму, к примеру, варенья. But they should not be stored in it for a long time, since acid from fruits and berries negatively affects the walls of the product.
- To prevent an unpleasant outcome, before use, water and salt are boiled in a container in a proportion: 1 tsp. salt for 5 tsp water.
- These products do not have a non-stick coating. If you overlook the cooking, the contents will burn up, a dark coating forms on the walls. The outer part turns black after contact with the hotplate.
How to clean aluminum utensils at home? Eliminate soot from this dishwasher by washing will not work. It is necessary to use effective methods to eliminate it.
Aluminum is a soft metal that is prone to oxidation. Scouring forms due to cleaning powders, metal washcloths and sponges. But even prolonged use of the products helps to maintain an excellent appearance of the dishes, if some recommendations are followed:
- Do not use abrasive cleaners that include solid particles of chalk. Calcined soda and other materials that can lead to mechanical damage to the product are negatively affected. For cleaning, you need liquid detergents, gels.
- Do not clean the bottom and walls with a knife or sandpaper.
- To maintain shine, to prevent the formation of dark spots, it is forbidden to use aggressive substances with alkali and acid.
- To protect the metal from darkening due to the action of water with high temperature, you can not often wash the items in the dishwasher.
Since dirt, dark spots, white stains from food, water, chemicals easily appear on products, you should know how to clean aluminum dishes at home. It is important to use proven products and not to use harmful substances. The cleaning method depends on the type of contamination.
How to clean aluminum utensils if carbon deposits appear? There are methods that make containers shiny. Allow the product to cool before cleaning. Otherwise, it will change shape upon contact with cold water.
Effective remedies include the following:
- Laundry soap for washing dishes will be an excellent tool to improve the condition of the aluminum container. The product is soaked in a soap solution, which consists of half a piece of soap, which was dissolved in 5 liters. warm water. It is not worth leaving the container for a long time so that spots and stains do not form on the surface. After this procedure, minor efforts and a sponge for dishes are necessary to eliminate carbon deposits from the walls. This recipe is used when the plaque has not yet been eaten.
- The classic way to clean aluminum cookware from soot is based on the fact that the container is rubbed with a sponge and soda until the defect is eliminated. If this does not happen, then the product must be lowered into a bucket or basin, pouring water (10 l) there, pouring out soda (glass). The solution is boiled for at least 5 minutes and until the pollution is eliminated. For a qualitative result, a piece of laundry soap, silicate glue (150 ml) is added. After completing work, rinse the dishes with warm water and leave to dry.
- Instead of soda, table salt is suitable. When the container is contaminated inside, brine is boiled in it so that the carbon deposit begins to be removed. If the deficiency is noticeable from the outside, then the dishes are boiled in a bucket or tank, adding a lot of salt to the water.
- How to clean aluminum dishes at home in another way? Sludge is eliminated by citric acid, which is used during the preservation of vegetables. Pour water into the container so that it conceals the blackness, add 2 tbsp. l lemons, and then boil for 15 minutes. At the end, dishes are washed under running water with a special tool.
- Still used vinegar 9%. It must be poured into the container for 3 hours. Then it is washed under running water using a hard foam sponge. To enhance the effect to vinegar, you can add 0.5 pieces of grated laundry soap. It is also used with PVA glue. To do this, create a mixture of 1/3 of a piece of grated soap, glue (1 tbsp. L), water (4 liters) and boil a container.
The shops sell professional cleaning products for aluminum dishes. In this case, you do not need to prepare homemade solutions. The best remedies include the following:
- "Shumanit" is a potent and effective drug used to clean dishes.
- Amway is an effective and aggressive solution.
- Chister is not very effective, but affordable.
Any purchased funds must be used according to the instructions. Then they allow you to quickly eliminate pollution, to give the product an initial shine.
If the tap water is hard, then scum often appears on the inside of aluminum objects. When rubbing it, there is a chance to scratch the product. Cleansing is carried out in the following ways:
- If the scale is stable, the product is boiled in a mixture of components from soda, soap, silicate glue.
- If the scale is small, use ammonia in an amount of 5-10 drops, which is dissolved in half a glass of water. Also added 1/3 of a piece of laundry soap, 1 tbsp. l drinking soda. Prepared means, wash the product and rinse with running water.
- The scale is removed with vinegar, for this, water is poured into the container, table vinegar (4 tbsp. L) is added. The solution boils for 15 minutes, and then drains. The product must be washed with water.
All of these recipes are effective for cleaning the surface without damaging the material. Moreover, they are affordable.
If the aluminum pans are not properly cleaned of fat, they lose their original appearance. Scratches appear on the surface. In order not to spoil the appearance, you need to know how to properly clean the container from fat. The following recipes are effective:
- Warm water is poured into the contaminated product, in which 1 tbsp. l detergent. In this form, you need to leave for 30-60 minutes, and then wipe the surface with a soft cloth and rinse.
- The dishes must be filled with water, add vinegar and lemon juice (2 tbsp. L). The pot is put on gas, brought to a boil and boiled for 15-20 minutes. Then it should cool, the fat is removed with a foam sponge.
- To eliminate fat, the same method is used as for tanning - using soda, soap and silicate glue.
Not all housewives know that soda ash is used for dishes. Pure sodium carbonate can be used for cleaning. The powder is poured onto a sponge from a pack, and then the surface of the dishes is treated. You can use a solution of soda ash for washing dishes. To do this, add water and soda in an amount of 3 tbsp. To the basin. l powder per 1 liter of liquid. A container is placed in the resulting solution. Soak for 2-3 hours, and then wash in the usual way.
There is another effective method to clean the utensils. Soda ash is mixed with dishwashing detergent and silicate glue. The components must be taken in the same amount (2-3 tbsp. L), mixed until smooth. The resulting product must be applied to the dishes for several hours, and then the contaminated place is cleaned and rinsed in clean water.
Eliminate old fat and plaque allows boiling dishes with soda ash. This method is more suitable for forks, spoons, knives, small bowls, lids. Kitchen utensils are folded into a metal basin, filled with clean water. Also added 0.5 packs of soda and shavings of laundry soap (1 piece rubbed on a coarse grater). The basin is installed on the stove, after which you should wait until the water boils. Then the fire is reduced and the solution is boiled for 15 minutes.
Thus, various products are used to clean aluminum dishes. All methods presented in the article are effective. Their use allows you to return the product to its original form.