Printing has become a paradoxical technology. On the one hand, it has never been so easy not to print: most paper documents in everyday life, at school and in the office can be used directly from a computer screen, smartphone, tablet or e-book. On the other hand, she is also not going to die at all: so far almost all companies and organizations print something every day - and although the amount of paper pulp is reduced every year, according to experts, it will take another quarter century to make the office completely paperless.
Until then, contracts, contracts, emails, various everyday mandatory and optional trifles will be printed on paper. And that means it's time to learn how to type.
No, I'm not joking about learning. Ten years ago there was no problem: everything was printed from a computer. But since then, something has changed fundamentally. There are more smartphones and tablets than staffers, a significant part of the workflow now passes through mobile devices. Therefore, why not print immediately from them?
Is this even possible, you ask? Maybe. However, the task is still non-standard and it’s useful to know the details so that you don’t stew at the right time, but use the available functions with confidence. Therefore, here are four of the most modern ways to print documents from a mobile device - sorted in order of increasing complexity. In the same order, I recommend them and apply: go to the next only if the previous one did not work!
The most versatile. Most likely your smartphone (at least its software, which is regularly updated) and the printer are modern, that is, they were released three or less years ago. In this case, they support one of the two most common universal printing technologies: Google Cloud Print (for Android devices) or Apple AirPrint (for iOS).
Both are good because there is no need to think about drivers: you just need to tell your smartphone which printer to use, and you can print. But first, make sure that the printer has the appropriate logo (indicating support for the technology you need) and the printer is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the smartphone or tablet from which you are going to print. Your further actions depend on which mobile device you have.
On Android, go to Settings -> System -> Print -> Virtual Printer. There, look at "Settings -> Add Printer", where your printing device should appear. If your network has multiple printers, select one. By the way, if there is only one printer, you may not have to configure anything, it will connect itself. But on the old Androids there was no built-in support for Google Cloud Print, so if this is your case, you will have to install it additionally using the official application from Google.
On Apple devices, you can skip this step, everything will happen, as IT experts say, “automatically”.
Then simply open the application, the document from which you want to see on paper, look in its "Print" functions, set the desired size and other properties, and - print! Everything is just like on a computer, with the only difference being that not all mobile applications can print yet. Office documents, web pages, photographs can be output to a printer, but, for example, correspondence from social networks is problematic.
This method is also good because there is nothing to fix it. If the printer cannot be found, wait a few minutes. That’s all you can fix here.
Through a proprietary application. You can always try to find a "native" mobile application written by the printer manufacturer. Here are Epson iPrint, Canon Print, HP ePrint, Brother iPrint and so on, and they are usually available in versions for both Android and iOS.
The printer again must be connected to the same wireless network as the smartphone / tablet. But here the printing is carried out only from the proprietary application itself, which means that the range of documents that can be printed in this way is limited to only a few popular formats. But such applications often allow you to use the printer’s functionality one hundred percent: for example, they can check the ink level or scan if the printer is combined with a scanner.
If the printer is completely old, does not support universal printing and does not have a proprietary application, you can try to revive it using mobile direct printing applications. In this option, a program is installed on the smartphone that can access printers directly via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, a USB cable or see it on the network if it is put into “shared access” on the computer. These, in particular, PrinterShare and Printer Pro.
Since Android and iOS themselves do not know how, these applications are usually paid. Worse, they only understand a limited range of formats, and they know far from all printer models. Therefore, it is worth checking whether they are specifically compatible with your printing device: you can do this by printing a test page in free versions of programs.
Print to file. This method allows you to get an electronic document (in PDF format) instead of a paper copy, which will look the same on any device and operating system. Perhaps this is even better than the paper version, because such a document can be sent over the network, and already printed on the spot. Settings are made in exactly the same way as the first method, only the printer is not needed here: during the selection just specify the option “Save to PDF”.
Print quality to you!
If you liked the article, recommend it to your friends, acquaintances or colleagues related to the municipal or public service. It seems to us that it will be both useful and pleasant for them.
When reprinting materials, a reference to the source is obligatory.
Method # 1: through cloud drives
Perhaps one of the easiest and fastest options (if you don’t do this very often) is to use some kind of cloud disk (there are a lot of them now: Yandex disk, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.).
The whole process boils down to downloading the necessary file (document) from the phone to the cloud disk, and then on the computer (to which the printer is connected) open it and print it.
1) Select the desired files (photos, documents, etc.) on the phone and press the button "Share" , after indicate Yandex drive (see example below).
Explanation. In his example, he took Yandex disk as a basis, because in my humble opinion, this is one of the easiest services to work with (both on the phone and on the PC). In addition, on many phones it is preinstalled.
2) Next, having selected a folder on Yandex disk, you need to click on the download button. After waiting for the end of the operation.
Download file to disk
3) Go to the computer. By installing the Yandex disk application on your PC, an icon will appear in the tray for quick access to it. We open it.
An icon for quick access to the disk appeared in the system tray
4) In appearance, it resembles a conductor: it remains only to select the folder where you downloaded the files from the phone, open them and print. In principle, nothing further.
Yandex disk program on Windows: how it looks
1) Cloud storage: what, how, why? How to connect a cloud drive to Windows, Android - secure file storage in the cloud, accessible always and everywhere - https://ocomp.info/kak-podklyuchit-oblachnyiy-disk.html
2) Yandex Disk: how to use it, upload and download files, photos. How to set up auto-creation of a copy of my documents - https://ocomp.info/yandeks-disk-kak-polzovatsya.html
Method # 2: by connecting the phone to a PC / laptop (or via micro SD card, USB flash drive)
The second method, in general, is similar to the first: we simply transfer the files either directly from the phone to the PC, or through some drive (without third-party services. For example, this can be useful when dealing with confidential information that would be highly undesirable generally uploading somewhere to the network there.).
In most cases, it’s quite simple to connect the phone to the USB port of the PC, then wait (20-30 seconds until Windows installs the drivers) and in "This computer" ("My computer") You can open the phone’s memory (see screenshot below).
Phone connected via USB
Please note that when you connect the phone to the computer - on the phone itself (usually) a small window appears in which you need to give permission to transfer files via USB. If this is not done, then from the computer you will not get access to the device’s memory.
1) How to upload photos and files from a phone to a computer - 6 ways - https://ocomp.info/kak-zagruzit-foto-s-telefona-na-pc.html
2) How to connect USB flash drive (smartphone) on Android via MicroUSB port - https://ocomp.info/kak-podklyuchit-fleshku-k-android.html
Method # 3: by connecting a printer directly to the phone (via the OTG adapter)
If you have a printer (and the PC, for example, does not work or does not see the phone), then it is possible to connect to the printer directly via USB (i.e. print from the phone without using a computer at all).
For this you need special. OTG adapter (adapter).
You can purchase an OTG adapter at any computer store. For example, you can order in Chinese online stores (in the search and ask "OTG adapter") - https://ocomp.info/kitayskie-internet-magazinyi.html
The phone is connected to the printer via OTG
After connecting the phone to the printer, you need to install specials on it. application (for the phone to "see" the printer). In most cases, it is enough to pay attention to the brand of the printer (for example, Samsung as in my example), and download the application from this manufacturer in the Play Market (this is free).
By the way, this is special. An application is often called a print module.
I note that if your printer is special. there is no application, you can install something alternative: I’ll say a few words about this below.
The screenshot below shows an example of installing Samsung Mobile Print (of course, for a Samsung brand printer).
Mobile Print - installed
And so, then you need to run this application and add your printer. As a rule, if the printer and the phone are turned on, the OTG adapter is working, everything is in order with the cable - the phone will immediately “see” the connected printer (as in my example below).
Samsung Mobile Print - screenshots of the application
After that, it remains only to select the desired document from the phone’s memory and send it for printing (I note that the functionality of different applications can differ significantly from each other: in Samsung Mobile Print, for example, you can select the sheet format, specify borders, specify specific sheets for printing and other parameters).
The printer is connected, you can print a document
As an example, I give a photo of a couple of printed sheets of A4 format.
As an example. (printed sheets from the phone)
About an alternative application
If you did not find a specialized application for your printer, then you can use universal analogues: PrinterShare or Printer 2 Go (though they have full functionality for a fee!).
I took the first one as an example - basically the same thing: first connect the phone to the printer, then launch the application and add the printer (note that the application can find printers connected via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB).
PrinnterShare - Printer Selection
Next, install the necessary driver (the application will automatically select and update it), select the document and send it for printing (examples on the screenshots below).
Method # 4: via Wi-Fi (Bluetooth) if the printer supports wireless technology
The most convenient option for printing will be if you have a modern printer (supporting full Wi-Fi operation). You can generally, lying on the couch and talking with someone on Viber - with one click of your finger (without even getting up) send to print any of the photos seen in the chat! Isn't that great ?!
The setup in this case is also quite simple: it all comes down to connecting the printer to your home Wi-Fi network (usually, this can be done using the small screen on the device (see screenshots below), or using the WPS buttons - which you need to press and on the router, and on the printer for auto-connection).
Connecting the printer to a Wi-Fi network (Wi-Fi Settings)
After which, the phone also connect to this Wi-Fi network (can be done in the settings section "Wireless network" (Actually for Android 8.0)).
Well, then just select a photo or document (for example, I opened a scan on Google Drive), click "Print" and among the found printers you will see your device: it remains to select it and wait for the device to buzz.
Connect to Google Cloud Print
Most modern printers are capable of printing via Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or another quick way to wirelessly. However, many still have to print files from devices that do not support wireless protocols, so the service from Google remains in demand.
After registering an account in Google Cloud Print at https://www.google.com/cloudprint/ and linking your printer to it, it becomes possible to manage the printer from any place with a good Internet connection. It is because of this that printing from a phone or tablet on a conventional wired printer becomes available.
Although almost all existing printers are capable of working with the Google Cloud Print service, there are still those that are incompatible with it. To save users from trial and error, Google has compiled a list of printers that can work with their cloud service. You can view it at the link: https://www.google.com/intl/en/cloudprint/learn/printers/.
The steps to add a new printer to the Google Chrome browser are:
- First you need to run Google Chrome.
- Sign in to your Google Chrome account if this is not done automatically.
- Press the button “Menu», Which, depending on the version of Chrome, displays an icon with three lines or dots in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Choose "Settings».
- Click on "Show advanced settings».
- Scroll down the page to the Google virtual printer section and click "Control».
Print files from your phone in Android
Many Android phones have a Google Cloud Printer interaction module, already integrated in the software. If your Android build does not include the Google Cloud Print package, you can easily install it by downloading and launching the corresponding application from the Google Play website.
When the Google Cloud Print is installed on your phone, you don’t need to run it every time before printing a file: the Google Cloud Print application works as an add-on to your phone’s software. The only thing you need to make sure is the Google account associated with the phone is the one that was used when adding the printer to the Chrome browser.
To print a file from an Android phone, you need to follow these steps:
- Open the document you want to print. It can be anything from a text file or a photo stored on a cloud drive to the contents of a local phone’s memory device.
- Press the button “Menu"(Three dots in the upper right corner).
- Click “Print».
- Click on the down arrow to the right of "Save as PDF».
- Select the printer to print from. To get a list of all connected printers, click on the “All printers»
After everything is ready, you can click on the print button (blue circle with a printer icon)
Print web pages and Gmail messages
You can print web pages and messages in mail through a virtual printer in the same way as regular texts and pictures.
The algorithm of actions for printing letters and web pages is very similar to the previous one:
- Open Gmail or Google Chrome.
- Go to the page you want to print and click the "Menu" (three dots).
- In the list that opens, select "Print».
- On the print page, select the printer you want.
- Press the button "Print».
Third-party direct printing utilities
Some manufacturers have solved the problem of how to connect the printer to Android. They have released applications that can streamline the work of MFPs and printers with a smartphone. It is worth noting several useful applications for direct printing:
- ePrint is an application released by HP. It allows you to connect your smartphone directly to almost the entire line of HP office equipment models.
- Other office equipment manufacturers have similar functionality with ePrint. View your printer’s company and download the application you need: Konica Minolta, Canon Print, Brother Print, Lexmark Print, Epson iPrint, Xerox Print. The disadvantage of these utilities is that they are suitable only for one manufacturer of equipment, if you want to print a document outside your home or office on another device, you will have to download a new Android application. A printer whose driver is missing on your smartphone cannot detect a mobile device.
- PrinterOnPrint is a universal application that allows you to find the connected printer. It automatically installs the necessary drivers on your phone. This application is highly rated by users. It has a convenient interface and high functionality.
- PrinterShare is available in two versions - free and paid. With this program, you can find out if the printer is able to detect your phone. Недостаток этой программы в том, что преимущественно она отправляет документы на печать через Wi – Fi , Bluetooth или облачное хранилище. При прямом подключении утилита будет бесполезна.
Все эти утилиты распространяются бесплатно через Play Market . Для их установки на смартфон необходимо только выбрать нужную и нажать кнопку «Установить». Проследите, чтобы на внутреннем хранилище было достаточно свободного места.
Можно ли распечатать документ прямо из редактора?
Если у вас есть связь с компьютером, то можно попытаться распечатать документ прямо из текстового редактора. Подобной функцией обладают многие программы:
It is also possible to set up printing on a printer via Android directly from browsers. Documents are transferred to a physical printer in this case via the "cloud" or Wi - Fi, direct connection does not work on most applications. We will talk about using cloud storage for printing documents below.
Of all the applications, the most interesting are products from Microsoft. Before printing, they send documents to the web service, which is necessary for their preparation. The developer claims that this step is necessary to ensure accuracy and high quality printing.
How to connect a printer via an Android phone using Wi-Fi
It is also possible to print from Android to a Wi - Fi printer. To do this, you need to have at hand a device that can become a full-fledged participant in the Wi - Fi network and receive print jobs directly from your smartphone. In this case, you must first configure your router so that both devices are on the same network:
- Turn on WPS mode on your router. Check if your device supports this technology.
- Then through the PC, go to the browser and enter the combination “192.168.1.1” in the address bar. By default, the username and password are admin.
- In the settings of the router, open the "Security" tab. Locate the WPS Setup section and set Enable next to it.
- Disable MAC address filtering.
- In the network section, set the marker to the Wi-Fi Protection Setup position.
Now you need to connect both devices to the network with an interval of no more than 2 minutes. The connection of the smartphone and printer is possible only with the help of special programs, which we mentioned above. It handles printing best with Wi-Fi PrinterShare.
Some routers automatically configure WPS mode using a special button located on the device.
Google cloud print
Using Google Cloud Print is much more popular. In this case, you do not need the physical printing device to be on the same network as the smartphone, a working computer, the standard Virtual Printer application for Android on the smartphone, and access to the Internet via a PC.
This cloud service is now used by default on all modern smartphones. Its advantage is that you do not need to download printer drivers to your device. Before you begin, set up your smartphone so that it logs into your Google account, and also install the Google Chrome browser on your PC. In it, you will also need to log in under the same account as on the Android smartphone.
Follow the instructions below:
- Open a browser on your PC and go to the menu - it can be found next to the address bar. Click on the icon of the three dots arranged vertically.
- From the context menu, select "Settings".
- Scroll down to the line "Show advanced settings."
- Find the "Google Cloud Print" section and click on the "Configure" button in it.
- Click any of the available Add Printer buttons. If your device is independently connected to the network, the top button will be available. A physical printer connected with a cable is added by a button from the bottom subsection.
- Next, you will go to the printer settings page. You will need to install a marker next to the name of your device, you can also put an additional checkmark next to the item “Automatically register connected printers”. This completes the registration of the printer.
- Pick up your smartphone and launch the Virtual Printer app. In most assemblies, it goes by default, but if you didn’t have this utility on your smartphone, you need to download it from the Play Market.
- Open any file and use the "Share" button to print it. Thus, you can print a photo from the “Gallery”, an office document or a browser page.
- After you select "Print", you will see a window for its settings. Select the desired number of copies, format, orientation, number of pages. Start 6 printing using a button similar to the plane or the printer itself.
Similar virtual services are installed on their devices by many smartphone manufacturers. For example, Samsung has a virtual printer-like application. The principle of its configuration is similar to the standard one, but in this version the manufacturer added an additional opportunity - to save documents in the cloud storage. The advantage is that the Android printer program does not require this. You do not need drivers.
In order not to configure a virtual printer, you can take advantage of another feature of Google - the application "Drive". In fact, this is cloud storage, which can be accessed from the Chrome browser. Add files there, and then open them using your PC and print. The advantage is that you can give access to the disk to another user and thereby transfer the document to anywhere in the world without reporting your account information. You can connect other users, for example, relatives, to the Photo service. They will also be able to print images for their use.
If you only plan to create a document for subsequent printing, it is best to do this in the “Documents”. They are a cloud application from Google, similar in functionality to Word. You just need to pass the link to another user so that he can print it. Access to the “Photo”, “Documents” and “Disk” storages is also possible from a PC through your account. You can use them through Chrome, and then use the files as you wish, including sending them to print or edit.
Dropbox Cloud Storage
An alternative to standard cloud storage is Dropbox, which works with many Android applications. The ability to print is sewn into it by default. In this case, you do not need to open files on your PC. You just need to select the necessary files and click on the "Print" button. In more detail, the instruction looks like this:
- Install the Dropbox app on your PC and your smartphone.
- Transfer documents to the vault from your smartphone or PC.
- You can access them from any PC connected to the printer. To do this, just log in using your username and password.
- Select the documents you want to print.
- Click on the “Print” button.
- Now you just have to make sure that the printer has enough paper, and also wait for the printing process.
This option is no more complicated than the rest. You only need to have the Dropbox app on your PC and smartphone. The disadvantage of this option is that not every PC can find the utility needed to access the repository. But your files will be protected, access to them can not be obtained by reference.
An alternative way to transfer documents to a PC for printing is to send them by email. Now all popular services have convenient mobile applications with which you can transfer the files you need.
Now you know how to set up printing from Android to a printer. Share this information with your friends, ask questions in the comments. Discussion is welcome, perhaps you know other programs that can print from a smartphone.