Diarrhea in infants can occur for many reasons. The main thing is to recognize the symptoms in time and start treatment. Indeed, sometimes behind harmless liquid stools there are serious violations in the work of internal organs. Dangerous viruses and bacteria may have entered the body.
Diarrhea is characterized by a liquid consistency of stool up to several times a day. Color, smell, structure are important in the diagnosis. Diarrhea should be treated, in which, for example, streaks of blood are traced.
Diarrhea in newborns
In the first days after the birth of a baby, feces have a dark green color. It is called meconium. It is not necessary to treat such a condition. You should beware of his absence, as this can be the cause of a serious illness. Subsequently (up to about a month) the color of the stool in the child may be yellow-green or brown. During the first year, feces become yellow.
Diarrhea in infants is a very common occurrence. When a baby is born, its internal organs are not yet fully formed. Their final maturation occurs during the first year of life. Therefore, during the first month of life, problems with stool can be observed. The intestines, while taking food, did not fully learn how to properly process it. As a result, the baby has diarrhea. The main reasons are non-compliance with the rules of breast milk feeding. In this case, the child looks healthy and calm.
Often, even in the hospital, pediatricians advise giving infants bifidumbacterin, a medicine based on live bifidobacteria, which stabilizes the intestines. Bifidumbacterin is recommended to be given to infants even after taking antibiotics.
Incorrect attachment to the chest or frequent change of one breast to another also causes diarrhea. As a result, the baby receives front milk, which contains only lactose. Fats are found in the deeper milk of the breast and are the main food for the baby. This leads to the appearance of a liquid green stool with foam. In this case, the treatment is to establish a diet.
Reception of live bacteria will help to cope with the disease faster. Bifidumbacterin is a safe drug even for newborns. Treatment should begin after consultation with a doctor.
Causes of loose stool in infants
Diarrhea in infants can occur for various reasons:
- The first lures. If they are introduced prematurely in the diet of infants or products have a laxative effect (juices, fruits), fermentation processes occur in the intestine. After their cancellation, the chair is adjusted.
- A sharp transition from breast milk to breastfeeding.
- Failure to comply with the rules for the preparation of mixtures. Making the mixture is strictly according to the instructions.
- Intestinal infections can enter the child’s body through dishes, unwashed hands. In addition, a viral intestinal infection is isolated. In any of these cases, in addition to diarrhea with mucus, abdominal pain, vomiting, and fever are observed. Blood streaks may appear in the feces. Children of the first month of life are especially experiencing these symptoms.
- The most difficult to treat is infectious diarrhea. With the help of tests, an infection is determined, and only a doctor can prescribe treatment (rotovirus, parasites, bacteria, fungi). There is a loose stool of green color, vomiting. If this is a staph infection, then stool with foam.
- Perhaps the child has a pathology of the digestive system (intestinal obstruction, peritonitis, appendicitis). In this case, the treatment is accompanied by surgery - in no case can you do anything yourself.
- Diarrhea can accompany teething, colds, infections of the genitourinary system. The chair is fluid, plentiful. If symptoms of the attachment of another infection are observed, then the stool becomes mucus, foam, blood clots are noticeable in it.
- Dysbacteriosis It is characterized not only by the appearance of loose stools. Feces often happen with mucus and foam, there may be a dissemination of blood. Color may have a green tint.
- Inflammation of the small intestine. The diarrhea is strong, with mucus, foam. Blood streaks may appear.
- Taking antibiotics.
In any of these cases, it will not be amiss to take bifidumbacterin, which will help fight stool disorders. Especially if the child of the first year of life looks sick and tired.
Dehydration with diarrhea
The appearance of loose stool should alert parents. If you do not stop it in time, then dehydration of the body may occur when the balance of salts (electrolytes) and water in the body is disturbed. The liver and intestines are involved in adjusting this balance. As soon as their normal course of work is disturbed, there is a shortage of liquid and salt. The whole body begins to suffer. The situation may worsen due to the combination of loose stools with vomiting and the appearance of streaks of blood in the feces.
The main signs of dehydration are easy to identify.
- The child has weight loss.
- The child looks lethargic, constantly asking for pens.
- Urination decreases. In this case, the urine acquires a dark color.
- In infants, the fontanel sinks.
- The surface of the skin becomes dry.
- Dry mouth is observed. There is no drooling, the baby is crying without tears.
When to see a doctor
When diarrhea occurs in a child, his condition should be monitored. A doctor should be consulted in any case if the child is under six months old.
- Stool with mucus and streaks of blood.
- Cold or viral disease, which is accompanied by fever.
- Taking some medications. Especially often diarrhea appears after taking antibiotics.
- The chair is frequent, often with foam, acquires a green color.
- Stomach ache.
How to get rid of a problem
- First you need to pinpoint the cause of loose stools.
- The signs of dehydration should be recognized.
- Discard all lures. Establish breastfeeding. Try changing the mixture.
- After the first symptoms of diarrhea have manifested, start activities to prevent dehydration. Make an electrolyte solution, which is dispensed in a pharmacy without a prescription. The dosage should be carefully calculated. Some preparations containing electrolytes include rice syrup - it reduces the amount of stool.
- If the baby is breast-fed, then the mother should exclude laxative products from her diet for the entire period of the disease. Once the feces become hard, it will be possible to gradually introduce the usual foods.
After taking antibiotics, almost all children under one year of age show signs of intestinal microflora disturbance. In this case, bifidumbacterin is prescribed.
Bifidumbacterin will help to cope not only with disorders of the stomach and intestines after taking antibiotics, but also with anemia and allergies. Bifidumbacterin is recommended for babies to drink during the transition from breastfeeding to the mixture, as well as during the introduction of complementary foods.
The intestines of the child are restored for a long time, diarrhea will also be a long time. The recovery is indicated by a decrease in the frequency of the stool, and the consistency, which should become denser every day.
Treatment of diarrhea in infants
Before a doctor arrives, you can reduce pain yourself and the risk of dehydration yourself.
- Should give water. You can prepare a decoction of chamomile or rice decoction for babies. They have a fixing property.
- Do not give your child any medicine. And especially not to use the advice of other mothers. If diarrhea was caused by taking antibiotics, then rule them out.
- Monitor the temperature of the child and the features of the skin: the presence of a rash, pallor, dryness. Monitor the composition of feces, namely, the presence of blood in it.
Your doctor may prescribe the following treatment.
- Reception of an electrolyte solution.
- If the cause is dysbiosis or infection, then antibiotics are indispensable.
- Bifidumbacterin. He is able to establish the work of the intestines. The drug should be dissolved in breast milk or in a mixture. Giving on an empty stomach (30 minutes before meals).
- Intestinal absorbing drugs.
The health of a child up to a year is completely dependent on adults. By identifying the first signs of a malfunction in the baby’s digestive system, you can help in a timely manner and not do even more harm. Strictly observing the doctor’s recommendations, you can quickly and easily get rid of the disease.
Indigestion in children is a fairly common occurrence. As you know, this body is one of the main elements that make up the human digestive system. Disruptions in his work adversely affect not only the patient’s well-being, but also his overall health.
Functional upset stomach in children is a special condition in which one of the functions of the organ in question is violated (for example, motor or secretory). In this case, the small patient feels a noticeable pain in the epigastrium and experiences a significant sense of discomfort.
A characteristic feature of this condition is the absence of any structural changes in the gastric mucosa. Thus, the diagnosis is made on the basis of a survey of the patient, the available symptoms, test results and other studies.
Varieties of the disease, their causes
An upset stomach in children, or rather its variety, is determined by several factors that caused an imbalance in its work. Primary disorders are independent diseases. The main reasons for their development are the following:
- failure to follow a proper diet (including overeating, irregular meals, abuse of smoked, fatty and spicy foods, lack of trace elements and vitamins in the body, a passion for strict diets, poor chewing of food),
- disorders of an emotional or mental nature,
- allergic reactions to any food,
- taking potent medications that negatively affect the work of the stomach,
- tobacco and alcohol intoxication, as well as harmful working conditions,
- atmospheric effects (including radiation, elevated air temperature, various vibrations),
- heavy physical activity.
Why does upset stomach occur in children? Secondary causes of such a pathology are accompanying factors or the consequences of other diseases of the internal organs. These include the following:
- vascular and heart diseases
- malfunctions of the digestive tract,
- disturbances in the endocrine system,
- chronic infections
- organic or functional diseases of the central nervous system.
Most often, an upset stomach in children does not arise because of one, but because of several factors that were mentioned above.
Symptoms of the disease
Now you know what a pathological condition such as an upset stomach is. Symptoms in children, however, as in adults, can be different. In modern medicine, several clinical pictures of this disease are distinguished:
Usually, a functional stomach upset in children is accompanied by such unpleasant symptoms as pain in the epigastric region. At the same time, both children and adults talk about paroxysmal pains, which usually concentrate in the navel and are intermittent.
In such a pathology, babies may develop mild soreness, especially when pressing on the stomach.
Signs of illness
If the child has fever and indigestion, you should definitely contact your pediatrician. It is also necessary to visit a doctor if a small patient has poor appetite, a feeling of heaviness in the abdomen, as well as belching with the smell of rotten or acidic foods and nausea that turns into vomiting.
According to experts, a strong gag reflex in a child may indicate the presence of pylorospasm. It should also be noted that difficulties with swallowing food in a baby may indicate the development of cardiospasm.
Other symptoms of the disease
How does indigestion manifest in children (only a gastroenterologist should treat this disease)? The considered disease in babies is often accompanied by excessive sweating, emotional instability, instability of the heart and blood vessels, as well as other internal organs.
It should also be noted that such a disorder of the main digestive organ has special forms in which symptoms such as aerophagia (i.e., severe belching of air), acute expansion of the stomach and habitual vomiting (including sharp bouts of vomiting) are observed.
All of these symptoms require special attention from doctors. But, in order to make a correct diagnosis, one should rely not only on the revealed signs of the disorder, but also on the results of the analyzes. Only in this case, the specialist will be able to prescribe the necessary treatment, as well as adjust the diet of his patient.
According to statistics, children and adolescents are much more likely to suffer from an upset stomach than adults. This fact is explained by the fact that it is young people who are inextricably linked with computer and other electronic equipment that regularly experience psychoemotional overloads. By the way, against the background of this, many children and adolescents forget about regular and nutritious meals, having a bite of hamburgers and drinking them with highly carbonated drinks. Typically, the results of this behavior are not long in coming.
The child has an upset stomach: what to do?
Modern food products do not always meet all the requirements of quality and safety. Therefore, diseases of the digestive tract took first place among all the others.
Very often this problem occurs in young children and adolescents, especially if their parents do not particularly monitor their nutrition. So how to treat an upset stomach in a child? To eliminate the cause of this ailment, doctors recommend the use of non-drug methods. As them, experts offer the following:
- Normalization of diet. This includes the selection of high-quality and safe products, the presence of various hot dishes on the menu, the regularity of nutrition, the absence of coffee, hot chocolate and sparkling water among the drinks consumed, as well as the complete exclusion of fried, spicy, fatty and salty foods.
- If an upset stomach in an adult is associated with harmful working conditions, then they must be eliminated. To do this, you should refuse to work at night, and also cancel frequent business trips.
- Healthy lifestyle. This method of eliminating the causes of stomach upset involves regular exercise and physical activity, alternating work and rest, and giving up bad habits (for example, smoking or alcohol abuse).
In most cases, with an upset stomach, such measures can not only significantly improve the patient's condition, but also eliminate malfunctions of other internal organs.
The temperature and upset stomach in a child can be observed not only in early but also in adolescence. By the way, in such children, the signs of the pathology in question are very similar to gastritis. To make a more accurate diagnosis, morphological confirmation is required.
Medicines for indigestion in children are used for more serious disorders, as well as the presence of a huge number of symptoms of this disease. In addition, in this condition, the patient is assigned a special diet.
What remedy for indigestion for children should be used? Experts say that to eliminate motor disorders, babies can be prescribed medications of the following groups: antispasmodics, anticholinergics, selective cholinomimetics and prokinetics. If it is necessary to correct secretory disorders, then doctors recommend the use of antacids or anticholinergics.
With vegetative disorders, it is allowed to use drugs and various herbs that have a sedative effect. Also, with such a pathology, acupuncture, antidepressants, electrosleep, massage, gymnastics, water procedures are often used. If gastric disorders have arisen due to psychoemotional overload, then a consultation with a psychiatrist is indicated.
Treating young children
If adolescents and adults with indigestion can be prescribed various drugs and other procedures, then for small children such methods of treatment will not work. So what if a baby develops a similar disease?
The main condition for successful treatment of indigestion in a small child is the use of a sufficient amount of fluid, which helps prevent dehydration.
If with gastric pathologies the child willingly and more often takes the breast, as well as the bottle with the mixture, then it should not be limited in this. Also, the baby is required to give an electrolytic solution. As it may be the drug "Regidron". This tool will help restore water balance in the children's body.
Согласно сообщениям специалистов, при желудочных расстройствах давать ребенку фруктовые соки с глюкозой не следует. Also, babies are not allowed to drink carbonated drinks. If you neglect this advice, then these products will contribute to increased diarrhea and significantly aggravate the condition of the child. By the way, kids are not recommended to give fixing drugs, as they are contraindicated for children under 12 years of age.
If the sick child is already 6 months old, then with the development of severe diarrhea, he can be given mashed ripe banana or rice broth. Older children are ideally suited for starchy foods and chicken.
If loose stools with an upset stomach in a child are observed for two days or more, and dietary restrictions do not affect his condition, then you should definitely consult a doctor. It is not recommended in pharmacies to independently purchase medicines intended for the treatment of this condition.
The advisability of using certain drugs, their doses, as well as the duration of therapy for gastric disorders are determined only by the doctor.
If the disease in question has secondary causes of development, then treatment should be aimed both at eliminating the main symptoms and those pathologies that caused the disorder itself. For this, a sick child or an adult with complaints of severe pain in the stomach should be registered with a physician or gastroenterologist for a period of 12 months. In this case, examinations of the patient should be carried out every six months.
Diet for upset stomach in a child is very important for the healing process. The correct diet for a baby or adult is prescribed by a doctor. In this case, the doctor must give the patient a brochure indicating the prohibited and permitted products.
In especially severe cases, the patient is prescribed sedatives, as well as moderate loads.
If after some time the main signs of gastric disorders no longer recur, then more intensive therapy is not required. In this case, the patient is deregistered.
If you do not consult a doctor on time with an upset stomach, then the child may experience serious violations in the digestive tract, which can go into peptic ulcer or chronic gastritis. In this case, the symptoms and treatment will be significantly different.
Disease Prevention and Diet Recommendations
Proper nutrition of a child with an upset stomach is very important. Usually, a special diet is used during an exacerbation of the disease. At the same time, the composition of the child’s diet includes nicotinic acid and additional vitamins C and group B.
All dishes intended for a sick baby should be cooked exclusively on steam. Also, products can be consumed in boiled form.
Eating with an upset stomach should be fractional, that is, up to 6 times a day. As the main symptoms of the disease are eliminated, the patient is transferred to a balanced diet. He is also recommended a sparing diet.
What preventive measures should be taken to prevent indigestion in either you or your child? The primary prevention of the disease in question is the introduction of a healthy lifestyle. This will not only entail the elimination of many causes that cause disturbances in the functioning of the digestive tract, but also simply improve the patient's condition.
According to experts, the correct observance of the daily regimen, the absence of physical overload, a balanced diet, and the elimination of nervous tension will help significantly reduce the number of patients, including children, with the mentioned diagnosis.
If the child has diseases of the abdominal organs or helminthic infestations are observed that contribute to the development of gastric upset, then preventive measures must be carried out together with the treatment that is being carried out at this time. In order to rehabilitate a small patient, he is shown sanatorium-resort therapy.
Fluid stool or diarrhea - what's the difference
In a newborn, diarrhea is yellow in color, a creamy consistency with a pronounced sour-milk smell is the norm for a baby on breastfeeding. Breasts up to 2 months empty the intestines after each feeding, about 5-7 times a day, artificers are somewhat less likely. By the end of the third month, the stool becomes more dense, acquires a brown color, the act of defecation occurs 2-3 times a day.
A change in color and consistency of feces is observed with the introduction of complementary foods, which is associated with a reaction to new food. The stool is fully formed by 8-9 months.
- feces became very liquid, foamy, there is a general deterioration in the condition of the child,
- bowel movement occurs much more often, sometimes defecation occurs by a sharp release,
- bowel movements have a sharp unpleasant odor, become green, marsh, dark in color, which indicates infection with pathogenic bacteria, with dysentery, feces are bright and colorful,
- the feces contain impurities of mucus, blood, pus, a lot of undigested milk or food,
- the skin around the anus turns red
- the temperature rises or falls, nausea, vomiting, signs of dehydration and intoxication appear, the baby spits up more often than usual,
- weight loss is observed
- the skin becomes pale.
Sometimes diarrhea goes away on its own within 1-2 days, severe forms of the disease require specialist intervention.
If it seems to you that the child often empties his intestines, feces are very thin, but the baby is cheerful and happy, sleeps and eats well, has a soft tummy, gas jets go away, then there is no reason to panic, diarrhea can be just an individual feature of the body. And if the baby, on the contrary, suffers from constipation, you can not attribute it to the body, you need to go to the doctor.
Causes of diarrhea in a child
Diarrhea in a child can be caused by various reasons, they do not always pose a serious threat to the baby. Overcooling, overheating, fatigue can provoke diarrhea.
Why diarrhea occurs in newborns:
In breast-fed babies, diarrhea is often caused by the wrong diet of the mother. If you will consume a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, fatty meat, greens during lactation, you will not be able to avoid digestive problems in your baby.
- Allergy-causing products.
Food allergies often occur with a lack of enzymes. It is necessary to trace after which foods diarrhea occurs, to exclude them from the child’s diet.
- The body of the child does not absorb the components of food.
Poor digestibility of lactose, gluten, cystic fibrosis - with such pathologies, the child does not gain weight well, a rash often appears on the skin.
Temperature, diarrhea, increased moodiness, refusal to eat, severe salivation - if these symptoms appear in babies older than 6 months, carefully examine the gums, their redness and swelling indicate the onset of milk tooth.
- Intestinal infections.
Vomiting, fever, frequent diarrhea. If salmonella, dysentery bacillus, amoeba became the cause of diarrhea, then due to severe dehydration, heat, seizures can begin, and the fontanel is sinking.
Imbalance in the intestinal microflora often occurs in babies up to six months. In older children, a similar problem may occur after antibiotic therapy.
Diarrhea is accompanied by abdominal pain, allergic reactions, signs of a cold.
Diarrhea often occurs in children with colds, flu.
Diarrhea, acute pain, bloated abdomen, increased gas formation, bloating, a sharp increase in temperature, severe vomiting - these signs also indicate inflammation of the appendix, peritonitis, bowel obstruction. All pathologies require immediate surgical intervention.
How to provide first aid
Many mothers begin to panic when they first encounter severe diarrhea in a child, but there is no time to waste time on experience - diarrhea in infants quickly leads to dehydration, which is extremely dangerous for young children. Signs of dehydration are rapid weight loss, lack of urination for more than 4 hours, crying without tears, dry lips, the child becomes lethargic.
How to quickly deal with dehydration:
- Humana's Electrolyte is the best way to deal with diarrhea in infants, and can be used even for newborns. Dilute the contents of the bag in 250 ml of water, drink the baby every 5 minutes through a pipette or using a teaspoon.
- For artificers, you can dilute the usual mixture, only the amount of water needs to be increased by 2 times. Drink in small portions every 5 minutes.
- Prepare a decoction of 1 tsp. 200 ml of water crushed into a powder of pomegranate peels, stir the mixture in a water bath for a quarter of an hour, you can not filter. Give the child 5 ml of the drink three times a day, noticeable improvements are observed after 2 days.
Before identifying the causes of diarrhea, one should not get involved in drugs. With severe pain, you can give No-Shpa (Drotaverin), Panadol or Ibuprofen will help reduce the temperature.
How to help baby
If diarrhea occurs in acute form, any treatment can be started only after consulting a doctor.
The newborn has diarrhea, what should I do? We offer several ways to prevent and resolve the problem:
- Revise the diet and diet, sometimes diarrhea in infants arises due to the fact that the mother gives the baby one breast, the baby does not receive enough milk, the digestive system of the baby does not cope with a lot of liquid food.
- If diarrhea is a sign of dysbiosis, has arisen against the background of antibiotic therapy, it is necessary to take probiotics - Linex, Acipol. Although Dr. Komarovsky believes that the best way to restore the balance of intestinal microflora is breast milk.
- When teething to eliminate diarrhea, it is often enough to water the child to avoid dehydration. Special gels will help reduce pain. During this period, it is better to avoid crowded places, since the child's body is very susceptible to various infections. Remember that diarrhea and other unpleasant symptoms when teething lasts no more than 3 days.
- Adsorbents will help to remove harmful substances from the body, the safest drugs for children - Smecta, Enterosgel.
- With intestinal infections, urgent hospitalization is required, before the arrival of an ambulance, the child should be given rehydrants or regular water - a little, but often. In therapy, antibiotics, antiviral and antipyretic drugs, adsorbents are used.
- How to feed a baby with diarrhea? Breastfeed baby on demand, make up for fluid deficiency. Artists can be given the usual mixture, but 6 hours after the first portion of the rehydrant. Children over 6 years of age can be fed as usual, only to increase the daily intake of fluids.
The body of infants is very sensitive, the slightest changes can cause diarrhea - stress, decreased immunity, a change in the usual environment. Diarrhea is dangerous for the child not only by dehydration, but also by vitamin deficiency, anemia.
Today we found out why diarrhea occurs in a newborn with breast and artificial feeding, is it always dangerous, and what should be done in such situations.
Tell us in the comments if you have experienced diarrhea, how you fought, what remedies do you think are most effective. Do not forget to share the article with your friends on social networks - every mom needs useful information about the baby’s health.