You brought from the hospital a tiny bundle with a little man. At first, everyone in the house walks on tiptoe, speak in a whisper and do not rattle the dishes, so as not to accidentally wake the baby. However, over time, young parents realize that waking up babies is not so simple. Surely you noticed that in the room where a small child sleeps, you can watch TV and even vacuum clean. If the baby is sleeping, he is unlikely to react. Therefore, some mothers have a question - how to wake a baby so that it is as comfortable and painless as possible.
Do I need to wake the baby to feed
There is much debate about whether to wake a baby for feeding. On the one hand - the baby is sleeping - mom, rejoice! Go about your business, relax. However, not everything is so rosy. Pediatricians in many countries come to the conclusion that a child should be awakened if he sleeps for more than five consecutive hours. The fact is that such a long sleep without a break for food is quite harmful, the baby may have exhaustion. This is especially true for children who are poorly gaining weight, slowly growing. This is also true for premature babies - they need to be fed more often and more.
There are two types of feeding - on demand and on schedule. If you feed your baby on demand, you can allow yourself not to wake the baby until he wakes up. If you choose for yourself feeding by the hour - you can not violate the regime. The child must eat at the set time, otherwise the whole schedule will go down the drain.
The need to awaken the baby for feeding ensures the calmness of the mother. If the baby does not stick to the chest for a long time, mastitis may occur, and milk in the glands will begin to sour. Frequent or hourly feeding is also important for those who suffer from insufficient lactation. If you have little milk, you must feed the baby from 3 to 8 in the morning, at least a couple of times. This is due to the fact that the hormone prolactin is produced precisely in this period - early morning time. Stimulating the nipple and feeding the baby at this time increases the amount of milk produced.
When to wake a baby
As noted, you need to wake up the baby at a time when he is supposed to eat. If you feed your baby clockwise, you should not allow breaks between feedings for more than four hours.
It often happens that the baby should be woken up, because a doctor has come to examine him. Awakening the crumbs is necessary if the mother is about to leave somewhere and she needs to feed the baby before leaving. Awakening is also important before the trip, when the child needs not only to feed, but also to change clothes.
It happens that during childbirth anesthetics were made, and she, along with milk, gave them a tiny fraction to the baby. After this, the child is under the influence of sedatives and simply cannot wake up. With natural long sleep, this has nothing to do. Therefore, at such moments, the child needs to be awakened for feeding without fail.
It is best to wake the baby during the superficial phase of sleep. At this time, the baby twitches slightly with a leg, a handle, his pupils run under his eyelids. If there are no signs - raise the handle of the child. If the pupils began to move, and the mouth opened to suck, you can begin to awaken the child. If the baby does not react in any way, leave it for another 20 minutes alone.
Is there a need to wake a baby for feeding?
If the baby wakes up less than once every 3 hours, but at the same time is in good physical contact with his mother, gains weight well, enthusiastically sucks while applying to the chest and has enough urination and normal stool - then this is probably the dream regime and wakefulness is his individual peculiarity, and in this case, mom should not worry, and devote time to devote her free time to her extra rest. Otherwise, it is better to help the baby wake up no less than once every three hours during the day, and at least 2-3 times at night until the baby independently enters a regime that allows him to feel good and gain good weight . The optimal regimen for each specific situation will tell the doctor who is watching the baby, or a breastfeeding consultant.
With all this, mom should pay attention to the state of her breasts, since on-demand feeding implies mutual "requirements" of the mother and baby, then a very full or painful breast is also an occasion to wake the baby for "extraordinary" applying to the breast at the request of the mother.
How to wake a baby who does not want to wake up?
Of course, the ways of awakening are very individual - different babies will react differently to them. By experimenting, each mother will find the most gentle and effective way to wake her baby and maintain his interest in feeding until his drowsiness passes.
The most successful period in order to wake the baby is the period when he is in the phase of REM sleep. In this phase, you can see rapid eye movements under the closed eyelids crumbs, spontaneous movements of the arms and legs, lip movements (including sucking movements) and changes in the expression of a small face.
Try the next few tips - which ones will help you?
- If there is a bright light in the room, turn it down (it’s much easier for children to keep their eyes open when they don’t have to squint)
- Open the baby - remove the blanket or diapers from it,
- Undress the baby to the diaper if the room is very warm (sucking activity decreases at temperatures above 27 ° C),
- Talk to the child, try to make eye contact with him,
- Take the child in her arms vertically with a “column”,
- Make skin-to-skin contact by gently holding the baby to your chest,
- Or vice versa - put the child away from you on the bed (many children wake up when they stop feeling their mother near),
- Put your baby on the back on a flat hard surface (the bed or soft carpet may be too soft to wake up),
- Massage your child’s feet and arms with gentle rubbing movements. Stroke or do a light patting back massage,
- Spin the baby very carefully from the left barrel to the right and back,
- Swipe your finger over the baby’s lips in a circular motion.
If these methods do not help, you can try more active methods of awakening:
- Wipe your baby’s forehead and cheeks with a cool, damp sponge or diaper,
- Change the baby's diaper,
- Try to wash your baby under a stream of warm water,
- Squeeze a little colostrum or milk directly into the baby’s mouth and wait for it to swallow this small amount before decanting a new serving.
However, after waking up, the baby may still be quite sleepy and not show a strong interest in sucking, or even try to fall asleep again at the chest. Therefore, in order to support the baby's sucking activity, try the following steps:
- Make sure that the breast does not press the baby on the face (support it with your hand),
- Use breast compression techniqueto make milk flow easier
- Change breastsevery time the baby begins to lose interest in sucking (suitable for babies of the first days of life, for older children - consult a breastfeeding specialist),
- Sometimes feeding in an arm pose ("football pose”) Helps the child stay active and suck longer than the“ cradle ”or“ lying ”position,
- Gently stroke the top of the baby in a circular motion while breastfeeding.
Please note that babies can doze off while nursing - especially in the “cradle” position or lying next to their mother. This is normal and does not prevent the kids from getting enough milk - because in the end, our goal is not so much to awaken the baby, but to feed him on time. Therefore, if you feel that the baby is sucking evenly and stably with his eyes closed - just relax and enjoy feeding!
- Newman, J. & Pitman, T.The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers. Roseville, California: Prima 2000
- The womanly art of breastfeeding. - 8th ed. / Diane Wiessinger, Diana West, and Teresa Pitman, 2010
Alena Korotkova, clinical psychologist, breastfeeding consultant
Alena Lukyanchuk, psychologist, breastfeeding consultant
Do I need to wake a newborn for feeding
It is generally accepted that a long sleep of a newborn is right and good. Sleeping baby gives mom the opportunity to do household chores, take time for herself, just relax.
But a newborn, according to WHO pediatricians, cannot sleep for more than five hours: a child’s sleep lasting more than five consecutive hours can harm just as much as his absence. This is especially true for premature babies or children who are poorly gaining weight. In order to gain sufficient body weight, the child must eat well. A strict sleep and feeding regimen is not suitable for all babies, but an individual (mixed) feeding schedule will be comfortable for both mother and baby. This regimen with intervals between feedings of not more than 3.5-4 hours will help to establish lactation in the mother and provide satiety to the baby. Frequent attachment of the baby to the breast will ensure a rush of a sufficient amount of milk, and will also be a prevention of mastitis.
Just a few years ago, pediatricians advised mothers to feed their children strictly at regular intervals. The length of time was 2-3 hours. After the studies, scientists found that newborns should be fed on demand. But many parents have seen from their own experience that it is better to use a mixed regime for feeding. It consists in feeding the baby on demand, but the interval between feedings should not exceed 4 hours.
Long breaks between feedings during breastfeeding can adversely affect both the baby and his mother:
- In newborns, a long interval between meals can cause dehydration, as well as a drop in sugar levels,
- In the mother, a break can cause stagnation of milk and a decrease in lactation.
When deciding whether to wake a baby in the GV for feeding, you should consider several factors.
If the newborn sleeps for more than 3 hours - this is an occasion to think and consult a pediatrician. In the meantime, it is better to wake him up so that the baby eats, because in the first month of life, a long break between meals will almost certainly negatively affect the condition of the baby.
In older children, the interval between feedings increases and is 4 hours. If the baby, while feeding on demand, “wakes up” a little while eating, do not worry. The baby wakes up when his body needs it.
In children with IV and children, who are gradually switching to a clock mode, such temporary schedule failures require correction. If the feeding time has come, and the baby is sleeping, you should wait 10-15 minutes, and then gently wake the baby.
Starting from 2 months of life, the crumbs can not be worried if he wakes up the time of nightly feeding and the regimen is slightly shifted. The older the baby becomes, the less often he will wake up in the dark.
When deciding whether to wake up a baby, you will need to consider the weight of the baby.
- Premature babies and poorly gaining weight babies should be woken up for feeding, as long intervals can weaken them even more and worsen their condition.
- If your baby is gaining weight well, sometimes you can give your baby the opportunity to sleep longer. The child himself will wake up when his body rests, or he feels hunger.
- If the baby was born prematurely and is very weak, you will need to wake up for the first time on the alarm clock and feed the baby for hours. Newborns need to eat every three hours. Such a regime will be temporary until the child gets stronger and gets used to this schedule. Gradually, with an increase in the volume of milk consumed, the intervals between feedings will increase.
- A cold child with a temperature should be given the opportunity to sleep a bit, because it is known that sleep heals. All the forces of the body are now aimed at combating the infection, so it is better not to disturb the child when he is resting.
When to wake up a newborn
- During the examination by the patronage sister or doctor, each mother should be prepared for such compulsory awakenings,
- To comply with the feeding schedule: between meals should not be allowed breaks lasting more than four hours,
- If mom has to leave for a long time, then it’s better to wake up and feed the child before leaving,
- If the family has a trip, then the baby should be awakened in advance, fed and prepared in a normal mode for a future trip,
- Often, drowsiness of the baby is a reaction to the medications taken by the mother - such a baby’s sleep should be interrupted for compulsory feeding, so as not to disturb sleep and wakefulness,
- If the baby sleeps unusually long and misses the prescribed feedings, you need to look at it: check the temperature and breathing.
How to wake up
To wake a newborn baby, parents must use gentle but effective methods. If the manipulation is done incorrectly, then there is a risk of scaring the baby. The baby should move from the sleep phase to the wakeful phase comfortably so that his nervous system does not suffer from the unsuccessful actions of adults.
- Dim lighting is considered most suitable for awakening. Bright light can scare the baby and cause him to cry.
- Pediatricians advise waking the baby when he is in the active phase of sleep. It can be determined by the characteristic motor activity - the baby jerks its arms and legs slightly, smiles in a dream, its eyelids and lips tremble. This period of sleep is superficial, so it is much easier for a child to get out of it than from the deep phase of sleep. If the baby is sleeping soundly, and when you raise his arm up, he does not react at all, so his sleep passes in a deep phase. Waking up the baby at this moment is not recommended. In order not to frighten the baby, it is better to wait a bit. The deep phase lasts no longer than 20-30 minutes.
- Call the baby by name in a quiet, calm voice, without changing the intonation. Calm mother transmitted to the baby.
- Tactile contact also contributes to gentle awakening: the child can be stroked on the arms, head and body, gently tickle the heel, slightly move the arms and legs. You can speed up the process by taking the baby in your arms: contact with the mother will not let the baby get scared, but the change of position and the proximity of the loved one will drive the dream away.
- A sleeping child, wrapped up or swaddled, needs to be freed from blankets, diapers and the upper layer of clothing: lowering the temperature will also help the baby as easily as possible go into the waking stage.
- After waking up, it is important not to let the baby close his eyes again, distracting him from drowsiness by talking, soft stroking, usual actions (for example, changing the diaper).
A month after birth, the baby and his mother find their own individual regimen, which allows you to make the processes of feeding, sleeping and waking up as comfortable as possible for both sides. Before applying the baby to the chest, make sure that he is fully awake. Talk to the newborn, dress him up, change the diaper, play with him. Often the baby begins to fall asleep at the chest, because the proximity of the mother and the warmth of the breast for the baby is an island of stability.You can distract the newborn from sleep by active actions: stroke him on the head and cheeks, speak with him, hold hands.
Is it worth it to wake a baby for night feeding
The maximum allowable break between feedings should not exceed four hours, so that all parents have to wake up the baby for feeding at night. Night feeding is necessary to establish the digestion process, since regular eating of newborns ensures the normal functioning of the intestines and stomach.
It is night milk (developed by a young mother from 3 a.m. to 8 a.m.) that is considered the most nutritious for a baby. Feeding a newborn at night is important for the full development of his body. This is especially true for premature or weak weight gain babies. Even if the baby does not wake up to feed at night alone, which often happens with premature babies (weak or premature babies may not wake up at night because they feel hunger a little weaker. Such babies need to be woken up) or babies sleeping separately from their mother, then they should be woken up and apply to the chest. Putting the baby to the chest at night stimulates lactation, maintaining the amount of milk in the volume necessary for the baby.
A healthy baby up to six months needs several nightly meals. As a child grows up, the number of feedings will decrease.
How to sterilize bottles for newborns - all sterilization methods
Hello dear readers of my blog! I want to tell you about the features of feeding newborns. It happens that the baby sleeps for a long time, and the mother does not know how to wake a newborn for feeding. We will talk about this and much more today.
Feeding a baby scares many mothers even before giving birth. They are constantly presented with terrible pictures of sleepless nights, children's cries and cracking nipples. But, thank God, this is far from an inevitable reality. Often everything goes much easier. It's all about the positive mood of the mother and good helpers in the family. Therefore, we must prepare ourselves for the best in advance, even during pregnancy!
1. Breastfeeding or formula
Moms who give birth for the first time are always in great stress - what to do with the newborn?
This stress can adversely affect the arrival of milk. The success of all breastfeeding depends on how lactation improves in the early days.
So what do we need? We need a relaxation. At least to the extent that it is generally possible in this situation. The main task of ensuring it lies on the shoulders of the husband and close relatives.
Mom needs to be provided with comfortable conditions so that she does not experience negative emotions and panic upon leaving the hospital. If everyone will help around the house and leave mom alone with the baby in peace, lactation will improve and breastfeeding will be easy. If you still have problems with this, you will have to bottle feed.
And in fact, and in other cases there is a scheme for feeding the baby. I will not describe the pros and cons of each type of feeding, this will be the topic of our other meeting. I just want to say that a baby who eats breast milk may require his mother more often than an artificial person.
And this is due to the fact that he constantly smells mom's milk, no one else can feed him.
But dad will be able to feed the baby from the bottle. Let dad and child get used to each other:
2. Does the baby wake up for feeding?
Immediately after birth, the baby can sleep for a long time.
It can happen for such reasons:
- Anesthesia of the mother during childbirth, which affected the baby,
- Early delivery or heavy delivery, after which the baby is weakened.
In the first case, this is a normal reaction of the child’s body to medications and will go away on its own, you just need to feed the child more often. In the second case, control of the medical staff over the condition of the baby is needed.
Babies of the first months constantly eat and sleep, and it is better to feed them on demand. If the baby sleeps for 3-4 hours in a row in the first days of life, should I wake him up for feeding?
Yes, you have to wake up. This is necessary in order to:
- Feed the baby and work out a regimen,
- Set up lactation.
Now about how best to wake him up.
- When the baby cannot wake up on time on its own, mom needs to take it on its hands, change its position (for example, put it vertically on the shoulder).
- You can also gently stroke it on the cheek, arms, legs. The main thing that you need to do this in dim lighting, so as not to shock the baby with harsh light.
- Then, when he opens his eyes, look at him and smile. Then he will not be scared, and he will be faster to get used to his mother.
Dear mothers, if you do not apply the baby in the first days to the breast as often as you can, you will not establish lactation and risk losing milk. If you need to wake him up for this, wake him up.
After a week, the lactation will be tuned, the baby will enter its own mode and everything will be fine. You and the child will establish the number of feedings that he needs:
3. What to do with night feeding
All women in labor are afraid of sleepless nights. Are all mothers forced to stay awake at night and constantly run to the baby?
I will say that how often a mother feeds her baby at night depends on his age, type of feeding and lifestyle.
From birth to 5-6 months, the baby is fed 2-3 times a night.
Further less. Breastfeeding baby is best put to sleep with you. In this case, the baby constantly feels mom and is looking for her in a sleepy state, simply twirling her head and smacking. Mom can only give him a chest in her mouth and continue to sleep.
If your baby is on artificial feeding and sleeps in a crib, is it worth waking up herself and going to wake him up at night?
It is better to get up and feed him from the bottle at least once a night, if he does not ask for more. This will give him strength.
4. What to do if you woke the baby to feed, and he falls asleep again
It so happens that you gently woke the baby, tickling his face or heels so that he ate, and he, sucking five minutes, fell asleep again. So you didn’t wake him completely. This is especially difficult at night.
- Wait until the baby has an active phase of sleep and wake up again. At this time, the dream is superficial and it will be easier to wake it. This phase of sleep is easy to recognize: the baby can change facial expressions, smile, smack, eyes under the eyelids quickly move.
- Then quickly give him a chest and walk with him around the room, change his position on his hands, change his chest (not earlier than 10 minutes after the active sucking of the first breast).
If you are feeding from a bottle, you can shake it lightly. Put the asleep baby on your shoulder, then change your hand and give the chest again.
In any case, 20 minutes of productive sucking is enough for the baby to eat. As a rule, after that he can simply smack his mouth with a nipple or chest, without eating anything. It is he who satisfies the sucking reflex. At this time, you need to stop feeding and put the baby to sleep in the crib further:
Usually, the mother’s idea of how to properly feed the baby changes by itself as she practices. So just succumb to your intuition. Believe me, mom’s natural instincts are the strongest. The kid also feels this, so he gradually tunes in to “her wave” and they react to each other simply extraordinarily.
And you can find out detailed information about the rules of baby sleep from this video from Dr. Komarovsky:
Dear mothers, I hope my advice came to your aid, and you will learn to better understand your baby! Subscribe to blog updates and share news on social networks. See you!
The baby fell asleep during feeding: actions of parents
Which of the young mothers did the baby not fall asleep during feeding? Inexperienced parents can upset the routine of a baby’s day, being afraid to wake him up or waking him up too sharply. So that mom does not have to wake the baby asleep while eating, pediatricians advise to follow these recommendations:
- during feeding, talk with the baby in a soft, calm voice to prevent it from falling asleep,
- so that the baby does not fall asleep, it should not be wrapped or worn in several layers of clothing: a light vest and sliders, a “little man” or a body without blankets and diapers is the best option for eating,
- if the baby begins to fall asleep, stroking the child’s forehead over the eyebrows will help keep him awake,
- an equally effective way to combat falling asleep is to change the position of the body or change the breast during feeding: if you hold the baby by the arms, he will be distracted from sleep.
Breast change can be a problem for mom: as a rule, the baby needs enough milk from one breast to saturate. In this case, he will drink only front milk and poorly absorb the seals in the mammary gland. In order to avoid stagnation and the appearance of seals, mom needs to monitor the condition of the mammary glands.
Pediatricians note that properly selected sleep patterns and frequency of feeding for a particular baby guarantee not only physical health, but also the peace of the child.
Feeding a newborn: where to start?
For a newborn baby, feeding is the most important process that lays the foundation for future health, ensuring active growth and development. That is why parents have to ensure the regularity of meals. What steps should be taken to make feeding as natural and comfortable as possible for both the baby and the mother?
- The hands and breasts of a nursing mother should be washed with a simple household soap, bottles and nipples (in case of artificial feeding) should be disinfected: this will reduce the risk of thrush in the baby’s mouth.
- If you feed while lying down, then take care of a fresh diaper on the bed - cleanliness is the guarantee of health.
- A comfortable posture will make the whole process easier and more comfortable for both sides. Each mother is free to choose a position on her own, taking into account her needs and wishes of the baby. Among the most preferable, classic options can be noted - sitting and lying down (postures for breastfeeding).
- Correct capture by the baby of the nipple ensures active and productive sucking, which does not cause problems for either the mother or the baby. If the nipple is not gripped properly, the baby eats with difficulty, making additional efforts, quickly gets tired and begins to act up. The mother's breast in this case suffers even more: the appearance of cracks, as well as stagnation of milk due to inactive sucking, are likely. The basics of applying a baby to the breast should be taught to the young mother in the maternity hospital (midwife or doctor), since the success of all breastfeeding depends on the first steps (how to breastfeed).
- If the baby falls asleep a few minutes after the start of feeding, try to wake him to continue eating. If the child immediately fell fast asleep, then feeding can be postponed.
- Premature or debilitated baby. When a newborn is born prematurely and / or has a fairly small weight, he may not wake up to feed due to lack of strength. In this case, waking up the baby is really necessary, it is even possible to do it more often than once every 2-3 hours. Otherwise, he will gain weight very slowly.
- In the case of a healthy, strong child, everything is different. Here, mom is better to focus on her instinct and intuition than on the advice of others. Each child is individual. Someone wakes up regularly every two hours to eat. And someone from birth is sleeping at night for 6-8 hours. Waking up a baby for feeding is not worth it if: he is gaining weight well, his mother has enough milk. If these two conditions are met, there is no need to worry. Here you can only be glad that the young mother has the opportunity to get enough sleep and recover after giving birth. This is much more important than following the formal rules for feeding the baby every 2-3 hours.
- The baby’s weight gain should be estimated not by their subjective feelings (“something he eats little and doesn’t grow at all”), but by objective parameters - how many grams the child has added, how many centimeters he has grown (table: height - weight of the child up to a year). In this case, you need to evaluate for a sufficiently long period of time - a month or at least a week. If the child really does not change much in weight over time and at the same time practically does not eat at night, you can try to wake him. However, do not go to extremes: if you regularly wake up the baby, but he still does not take his chest and falls asleep again, you do not need to slow him down forcibly. A hungry child will definitely eat. Otherwise, you simply run the risk of knocking down your child’s natural sleep and wake patterns.
- When a young mother does not have enough milk, breastfeeding experts recommend increasing the frequency of feeding. It is especially important to apply the baby to the chest at night. It is in the dark that when a baby is sucking a breast, a hormone is produced in the mother’s body that affects the amount of breast milk that forms the next day. Therefore, if you have difficulty with lactation, and the baby sleeps all night without waking up, it is worth waking him up and putting it on his chest as often as possible.
We also read:
All about breastfeeding a newborn. How, when and how much?
Hello girls! Today I will tell you how I managed to get in shape, lose weight by 20 kilograms, and finally get rid of creepy complexes of overweight people. I hope you find the information useful!
Do you want to be the first to read our materials? Subscribe to our telegram channel